Menu
How to improve spoken Chinese as a starter?
Jan 21, 2009 01:24
  • BENEDWARDS
I thought I was a quick learner when I started learning Chinese and I could say hundreds of Chinese sentences in the first three months at a Chinese school. However, suddenly I got kind of stuck there and little progress has been made since then. And when asked a question, I had no idea how to respond even though there were hundreds of sentences in the stock of my mind. I have no idea what to do. It doesn’t make any sense learning a language if you cannot answer a question in this language no matter how many sentences you’ve stored up there. Does anybody have the similar experience with learning Chinese? Is it just Chinese or any language in general—Chinese is my second language? Or just I’m dumb with it?
Feb 1, 2009 07:02
GUEST39142 just like how i learn english, just practice more!
Feb 17, 2009 03:35
GUEST10208 yes!practice more
learning language is same
Mar 6, 2009 16:09
  • DANO
I totally understand, this is a similiar point where I am. Here are some ideas to help. Practice by developing you ear, listen to Voice of America Mei Gou Zhi Yin, I listen everyday hoping that one day it will kick in and I'll be gradually understand more Mandarin as it is spoken. You can listen to Mei Guo Zhi Yin on the internet and it is considered public domain. I have no problem speaking but listening is where I encounter the biggest headache. Next practice on buses every chance you get. Buses are great because once a person is on they are not going anywhere til the next stop, so basically you are an avoidable nuisence and they will have to speak with you as you ask questions. Actually this is really fun and a great way to meet people and to share laughs. Another good place is laundry mats, once a person is there, they can be an impromptu teacher til there laundry is done.The last two methods were given to me by one of my Mandarin teachers who is a bit of a joker, but they have worked out quite well. OK good luck, but to let you know a lot of us are in the same boat experiencing the same problems trying to learn this language.
Mar 9, 2009 11:53
  • JABAROOTOO
你好 Ben,
你还在中国吗. Don't worry too much about learning sentences, especially long ones. That will come to together later. Learning always has plateaus where you feel like you are not getting anywhere ten all of a sudden you begin to move on again.

Focus on short phrases. Remember Chinese is like learning three new languages all at once. Two written forms and an oral language and then most everyone speaks it poorly. Dui le 对了and then there is the hand gesturing as well. Mustn't forget that as these clarify a lot of misspoken words as well.

Buses are a great places to listen if not speak and if you can strike up a conversation and practice some basic stuff all the better. The hairdresser if you are game and shops are all good too for a little conversation.

Are you supplementing with website learning material as well.

Baffled about the laundromat idea in China????? laundries yes but no-one hangs around in these waiting for the wash to get done.

Man man zou 慢慢走
Mar 9, 2009 21:37
  • JENNYZHANG
find a chinese to speak more !
Jun 9, 2009 16:10
GUEST67679 Hi Ben, I agree with everyone above, practice is the key! There are a many websites that offers good podcast which you can listen to, and try to repeat out loud an many times as you can! In addition, try to speak to as many native Chinese speakers as possible, this will help you to be more fluent with communicating ideas and making new sentences up, as well as improving your listening skills, as different people will speak Chinese differently!

If you have problem meeting a varied number of native Chinese speakers, i.e. you are no longer in China, then there is a website you can try called chineseteachers.com, they have many teachers from all over the world, you can have your lesson at anytime without the need to book in advance, you can even take a lesson for just 5minutes! Pretty convenient set up they've got there!
Jun 12, 2009 04:05
GUEST46217 Studying language is a long way to go, especially Chinese. I recommend you to find a professional tutor to help you get started.

Chinese@Home's One-on-one Online Teaching (LiveClass™) is an innovative system which combines traditional one-on-one tutorial teaching methods with the latest advances in computerized education techniques.

Our curriculum is flexible and will fit in with your schedule! Time differences are not a barrier to learning with us, and you can learn Chinese whenever it’s convenient.

Come and join us for a FREE trail now - www.chineseathome.com
Jun 13, 2009 07:20
  • YOYOCHEUNG
hi, i think the most effective way is to stay in china, so you will have an good environment. and i think environment is the most important factor for language learning. if you stay here in china, i think you will find it is easy to learn chinese. because i find many foreign friends speak well in chinese, and you know no one teaches them, just becasue everyday ,they can hear what chinese say in their daily life, and can make friends with them. hehe, i am also on the way learning english, i totally understand your feeling.
Jul 2, 2009 09:51
GUEST57156 Hello,I'm a Singaporean who learns both English and Chinese.我是新加坡人,我会说英语和华语。My chinese teacher often encourages us to listen to chinese songs to improve chinese.Chinese songs include interesting phrases that we can even use to write chinese essays,like English vocabulary.
Jul 5, 2009 04:39
GUEST20363 Hi Ben,
Hope u can see the words.
listening Chinese songs will be effective...and u should not just recite the sentences, but also understand the meaning and context.
Irene
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: How to improve spoken Chinese as a starter?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code