Menu
Air pollution
Feb 15, 2005 14:31
  • ELCABRON
Well Fidla, if China is too dirty for you, don? go there:-) China is polluted because protection costs money and is expensive.
It? a trade-off between economic development and enviromental protection.
Actually even rich USA avoid signing every international enviroment protection treaty.....
By the way, it? the USA who wastes most of the world ressources - and I mean waste, not use! - they have the highest carbon dioxide emission (CO2) per capita - not the Chinese!!!!!!

By the way, even though I am one of theses European cowards who does not want to bomb the whole world, I? still not anti-usa. Don? take it as an assault. I?e been there several times, lived in Colorado for half a year and still have many friends there.
So I know that except the politics, there are reasonable people somewhere hiding in this big and beautiful country.
Feb 15, 2005 20:38
  • MOREORLESS
There is a problem but I agree its a bit rich for the US to critisize a still devolping country like China when they wont even sign up to the kyoto treaty themselves.

As to the effects of the pollution I guess it depends how long you intend of staying, the only place I visited that was bad enough to effect me slightly in the short term was Chongqing. Beijing was pretty murky but not really any worse than LA and Shanghai was actually guite clear in the city center.
Feb 16, 2005 01:46
  • FIDLA
Do you think I represent the US? Ha ha that's a good one!

Look, many parts of China are not polluted: Shanghai, Dalian, parts of Liaoning, coastal cities, Dandong. I'm not saying ALL of China is polluted. But where it is, it is bad.

And my original response was based on another poster who asked a question about MY EXPERIENCE with breathing the air. I answered truthfully. When I lived in Shenyang, I had difficulty breathing the air.

Sorry if I am sounding defensive, but I resent the implication that 1. I represent the US, and 2. I dislike China. Neither of those are correct.

Someone said in this thread that it is the fault of the US companies setting up factories in China. Helloooo, where did you get this foolishness? If China had stricter regulations agains pollution, they wouldn't ALLOW US companies to set up polluting factories in China. And it's not the US. When was the last time you went to a car factory in Korea? No? That's right, Korean companies now have most of their factories in China! Samsung, Daewoo, Kia, the list goes on. So it's not just the US.
Feb 16, 2005 02:19
  • ELCABRON
Fidla - Don? mix up all the answers!

Jesus,

here is an even better one:

Your own and first add to the board about pollution (not an answer):

FIDLA | Hebei | 2005-02-15 06:24:30 GMT+8
I was there in November and again in December and I must tell you I don't recommend it. Very polluted, very loud and very dirty

Your arrogant Cowboy behaviour:

FIDLA | Liaoning | 2005-02-15 12:17:52 GMT+8
Ah, but I'm American. I can complain all I want.

Here are some links for you:

http://unfccc.int/essential_background/convention/items/2627.php

http://english.people.com.cn/whitepaper/14.html

For the rest, my message for you is still the same:

Well Fidla, if China is too dirty for you, don? go there:-) China is polluted because protection costs money and is expensive.
It? a trade-off between economic development and enviromental protection.
Actually even rich USA avoid signing every international enviroment protection treaty.....
By the way, it? the USA who wastes most of the world ressources - and I mean waste, not use! - they have the highest carbon dioxide emission (CO2) per capita - not the Chinese!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2005 04:45
  • FIDLA
Thanks for the links, man! 'preciate it :)

that's the first time I've been called arrogant or a cowboy! I take it as a compliment ;)

Feb 16, 2005 04:56
  • ELCABRON
Don? get offended by that. We are all friends over here!

I did not know it is a sensitive point.
But your argument you can say whatever you want because of a certain nationality was easy to misunderstand.
On a different add of yours you sound totally different, so I leave it like that.

A few days ago there was a strange guy, describing himself like Bret Pitt, and he said he would be in Beijing for a week, if there are any Chinese girls interested.......so you see there are some very strange guys out there. You never know.

Actually I enjoyed riding Cowboy tracks in the Rockys of Colorado very much......:-)
Feb 16, 2005 18:08
  • MOREORLESS
"Look, many parts of China are not polluted: Shanghai, Dalian, parts of Liaoning, coastal cities, Dandong. I'm not saying ALL of China is polluted. But where it is, it is bad."

I wasnt reffering to your post, more the general critisism from the west. China certainly has a problem but so do many other countries in the west, countries that have more chance to set an example.
Feb 17, 2005 08:50
  • MERMAID
i think it is time we improved our condition rather than to debate.
Feb 21, 2005 09:51
  • FIDLA
Me too! There are so many great places to ride in CO. Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon?

Feb 21, 2005 10:24
  • MERMAID
i ve been there but wat a pity the helicopter service was not available at that time so i would rather think i had nver been there. Just stood against the rails without touching the land of the canyon!
Page 2 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Air pollution
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code