Menu
Today is "Human Day"!
Jan 31, 2009 22:06
  • JIMMYB
Today is February 1st, January 7th on Chinese lunar calendar. You might not know that today is also “Human Day”, referring to the birthday of all humankind. It has a history of more than 2000 years.

“If the weather today is good, it will be an auspicious sign. If there is a pregnant woman gives birth to a baby today at your home, it will be more auspicious.” The legend says.

This custom is derived from an ancient book called “Zhan Shu”. It records the creating of the universe. From the first day to the seventh day of Chinese New Year, chicken, dog, pig, sheep, ox, horse and human sequently appear on the earth.

In southern part of China, people usually eat raw fish with pickled vegetables to celebrate Human Day. It is said that the higher you bring those contents off the dish, the higher your achievements in the new year will be. In some other places, people eat noodles that embody “Longevity”.

Happy Birthday to all people!

Jan 31, 2009 22:09
  • JIMMYB
longevity egg noodle

Feb 1, 2009 06:30
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Those look yummy!
Feb 1, 2009 21:23
  • LEOPOLD219
Very interesting! Although I am a Chinese, I didn't know this until I read this thread. Thanks, Jimmyb.
Post a Reply to: Today is "Human Day"!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code