Menu
1001 questions from a newbie China traveller
Feb 4, 2009 14:21
  • BO18
Hello everyone,

I'll be travelling to China in april/may for 3 weeks and had some questions really.
I bought the LP and rough guide but I still have some unanswered questions.

The most important one would be my budget. This is my first time in China (or asia for that matter) and have no clue on how to budget.
I'm usually a frugal person and dont spend too much on holidays/travels. I'm staying in hostels (which I already booked btw) so no worries there. I'm a major foodie though and spent most of my holiday exploring food
Anyways I budgeted around £300 a week (this is without acc. as thats already paid). One week will be spent in beijing, one week in nanjing and xian and one week in shanghai.
Do you think 300 pound will be enough? This will have to include train-travel, food, sightseeing really (i hate clubbing on holidays hehe)

Im just afraid that i'll be cash-strapped

Also, i'm travelling alone for the first time. Any handy tips regarding that? I'm planning on buying a phrase-book (duh) and those useful cards with basic chinese characters on them (metro restaurant, police, bank, airport etc etc)

I know 2 looooong questions but if you could answer them I would be eternally grateful!!!!!
I hope I'll enjoy my trip in china as Im planning another one for end this year.

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2009 14:23
  • BO18
LOL that was ment to be my profile pic. Hahaha, blimey there is something wrong with me today LOL
Feb 4, 2009 20:59
  • CHARITY
What a happy smile! Hehe-^0^, If you stay in hostels and not party all the time in big city , Your money should be sufficient. You can rent a bike or moto for travelling in big city, it's much cheaper and more convinient.
Best regards
Charity
Feb 4, 2009 22:30
  • ELLYSE
Good grief!!! 300 GBP would be enough for me for a month or at least 3 weeks!
Feb 5, 2009 02:49
  • ATHOME
Hi,

We just traveled for 2 weeks in South East China (including the earth buildings and Xiamen, Fujian Province, and Guilin and Yangshuo, Guangxi Province ). We were not going to the big (and possibly more expensive) cities, and we spent about A$500 (about £225) a week a person for everything. We were staying in inexpensive hotels, but not really worrying about the cost of food (we like to eat), did a cooking course and took a couple of flights.

Can not really help on traveling alone, but the helpfulness of people, particularly in smaller places, never ceases to amaze me.

Have fun!
Feb 7, 2009 06:19
GUEST93996 Hello, I have done a number of trips with my husband to China. We don't know Chinese. We have had no problems but I do plan before. The Lonely Planet guide book has the places in Chinese and that is helpful. Always have your destinations (hostels, sightseeing, places to go) written down in Chinese, you can always ask people in the hostel to write it down for you. Otherwise it can be difficult, although Chinese people are very friendly and helpful and there will always be someone around knowing a bit of English - if you get lost approach young people, I have found that well dressed young men or women are the best bet. They sometimes know how to read and write English but they don't speak (I have been told it is the way English is taught in school). 300 GBP will be plenty, especially if you travel by train/bus/metro (the metros are signed in English - very convenient way to get around but avoid the rush hour). Food can be very cheap or very expensive, depending on the restaurants you choose, but that will be fairly obviuos and there are always menus with prices (usually in Chinese). If you like coffee be aware that coffee is an expensive luxury item and it may be worthwhile to brin instant coffee from Europe. Entrance fees can be quite high, the major once can cost 100-250 yuan/person (you can check out on this TCG for the exact prices). Of course smaller temples may even have no entrance fee, and parks are usually free and a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. Something to be careful about are motorcycle or rickshaw taxis, they can ask for ridiculous prices so be sure to decide on a price before the ride. The normal taxis have a taximeter and in 99% the drivers are honest, but avoid any driver approaching you (go to the line and wait or get a taxi off the street instead), they are not to be trusted, although they will probably cheat you 10 yuan or something. I am sure you will like China - it is a wonderful country and there is so much to see and experience. Have a nice trip!
Post a Reply to: 1001 questions from a newbie China traveller
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code