Menu
So the Hollywood movies are really brainwashing?
Feb 5, 2009 01:49
  • A4ABILITY
i like to see hollywood movies a lot and i get this general expression that in the movies(or say in the US),boy-girl relationship seems way too easy to get started and get over,the below are a few things that i am still confused about:

1.you can kiss any boy or any girl when you have a sudden impulse to do that. (i am not saying it's wrong to seize the moment,but sometimes the way they portraited in the movies is way over the top imo)

2.it is,generally speaking,a "shameful" thing that you are still a virgin after 18,or say,after the senior prom.(here i quote a line in one movie:a 13 yo boy mocked at a 16 yo girl:"what,ur still a virgin?!"...and i was like...wtf?!)

3.i have read other posts saying that Asian women are more feminine,but as far as i saw in the movies,western women are elegent and sophisticated as well.

these are just my humble opinions,i have never lived outside China so what i said above might be one-sided,any replies and comments are appreciated,thanks :)
Feb 5, 2009 03:11
  • GAFFER
The present government in China and its past rulers did their best to shield China from the outside world and its influences for many 100's of years. I would say from a social etiquette point of view, China is now similar to how the USA/UK was in Queen Victoria's reign (1837-1901) but rapidly changing. Virginilty was valued, children did not become adults until they reached the age of 21, husband was master of the house......and the country etc.etc. Since then values have continued to fall and with modern technology (the internet) these values have spread around the world like wild fire despite efforts to censor such information.

Yes it is now unusual to find a virgin older than 18 ..or indeed 16. Men in the west probably do not view virginity in the same way as Asian men and since girls could take responsibility for their own contraceptive protection they now expect the same sexual freedom (and enjoyment) as boys and have many partners before finding a permanent one. Even those who might value their innocence are pressured by their peers and the media to "conform".

Are Asian females more feminine? In the traditional way I would say yes. Western women are more aggressively feminine. They dress and act in way to attract men and are probably less coy (shy) about finding a partner.

Which is best? I'm sure there will be many opinions voiced from both sexes with completely opposing views. I think secretly men are pretty scared of the "new" more confident woman and would really prefer things to be more like they were. :o)
Feb 5, 2009 03:41
  • GARYKINKADE
Yes, movies can be persuasive and generate "fads".
On the other hand, fictional movies and books can provide information that one would
not find in a "true life" situation story.
Sometimes there is more truth in fictional settings than nonfiction.
It's a matter of separating the "wheat from the chafe"
Feb 5, 2009 08:28
  • JCNILE123
I have seen it in this forum; many, mainly but not only Chinese individuals using movies specially Hollywood movies as a source of reference and in many cases inspiration for their every day personal life and personal opinions.
How shallow it is to have a movie as a source of reference to live our everyday lives...
I have a great disregard for the Hollywood agenda.
Feb 5, 2009 09:04
  • SHESGOTTOBE
First things first. Movies, whether comedy, romance, action, horror or suspense, Hollywood or not are created for entertainment. They have plots(hopefully) and stories. Entertainment is for relaxation, you know, it’s that thing you do when you are not working but not sleeping either. They can be used for propaganda and agenda but you decide if you want to be persuaded and brainwashed. Anyone who has imagination, time and resources can create a movie. Intelligence and common sense not required. Likewise, anyone who wants to watch a movie can. Intelligence and common sense not required as well.

In real life, the view of virginity is a very subjective matter; it depends on the culture and point of view. In conservative, traditional, strictly patriarchal countries where the men get to dictate how women should behave, it is the value of a woman. Once lost, the woman has no value. No man would want her, the woman cannot get married, therefore cannot have anyone to support her. In short, her virginity is her lifeline. I think it is absurd but I don’t have any problem with this since it is their life. It doesn’t affect me in anyway.

In modern, open countries such as many Western countries, many see virginity as overrated. There is always a first time. If a person is still a virgin at a certain age, it is seen negatively. People would think there must be something wrong with you. Are you a frigid? Does nobody like you? I think this thinking is absurd as well. I don’t understand why people have to be judged or valued based on whether they are virgins or not. Seriously, I think we are better than this. I've always thought we are supposed to be evolving.
Feb 5, 2009 09:10
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I have to add that in real life in Western countries, you CANNOT just kiss anyone on a whim unless you want to appear in a courtroom for sexual harrassment or to a lesser extent, get slapped. Sexual harrassment is a serious offense.
Feb 13, 2009 01:36
GUESTIMOTHY more braindead than nothing else; typical hollywood razzmatazz...
Feb 13, 2009 02:59
  • LEONARDO
I am fond of movies. IMHO, not all holly movies are brainwashing. Hollywood movies are part of American culture. I like watching the more realistic movies which depicting the ordinary people's life, though the life portrayed in the movies is somewhat modified. I like such movies as Westside Story, Crash, American Beauty and The Revolutionary Road.
A4ABILITY, I think the scenes you described are commonly seen in the Soap Operas. They are for sheer entertainmen. Believe some of what you see in the movies but don't believe all.
Feb 13, 2009 12:22
  • YINDUFFY
What is scary is that bad guys look to movie bad guys as models. Criminals study movies like "The Godfather" and "Scarface" like textbooks.
Feb 13, 2009 21:47
I think that what the western woman doesn't understand is that being a mans equal, does not mean to be his equal in all things. It is kind of like the line in the hollywood movie My big fat Greek wedding, when the mom says, your father is the head of the family, I am the neck. I look at my parents wonderful marraige, and I see my father running the way the lawn was mowed, planning the gardens, fixing the cars, providing most of the money for the household, and I see my mom, telling him how proud she is of him, and making the household decisions, going to pta meetings, and becoming mayor of our town. Why does there have to be such a battle between the sexes, when each has a part to play where they can excel. There is nothing I like better than to do something around the house, and have my wife tell me that she is proud of me, and I did a good job, and you know what, when she does this, I am motivate, to go out and pick her a nice bunch of lilacs, and have them on the table when she gets home. I am dating a woman in China, and it is my dream, not to have a subserviant wife, it is my dream to have a wife who is so good at being a woman, that she is my equal, and together we make magic. I am the head, and she is smart enough to move me as she will, and use me in a healthy way.
Feb 15, 2009 09:22
sorry got carried away with the why Asian women are more feminine thing, haha
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: So the Hollywood movies are really brainwashing?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code