Menu
Learn to use chopsticks!
Feb 6, 2009 03:30
  • ICEBERG
"For those who wanna lose weight, it is better to buy chopsticks." A new book suggests.

According to this book, eating with chopsticks can slow you down so that you eat less. Meanwhile, you take smaller mouthfuls, chew better and digest very well.

Do you belive that it really works?

Feb 6, 2009 16:21
  • GRIZ326
No.

Since I married, I only eat with chopsticks and have gained 12 pounds!
Feb 6, 2009 22:51
  • JSUMMERS83
I think that not having my own plate that I feel I have to "clean" is what forces me to maintain my body type here in China. I guess chopsticks help, but I can tell you for sure that they wouldn't hinder me from getting more food to my mouth if I wanted to!!
Feb 7, 2009 08:12
  • PALAMEDE
GRIZ,
CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU AND WIFE !!
I am palamede, new to this forum.I write to you, but the questions are for anybody who can help.
in march i visit for the first time my chinese fiancee in guangzhou, and we plan to marry.My visa has 2 entries, until july 29.
I know and i can to organize and pay for the party-dinner after we get married.Also no problem to pay for other things involving our marriage.
Before to ask my fiancee, i need to know what are the " red envelopes"?
and for what?
i want to buy a ring to my future wife.But i want to keep it secret until the last moment.Any suggestion how can be done? how to get the wright size ring?
thanks a lot
palamede
also: is this forum in chinese?
Feb 7, 2009 11:42
  • GAFFER
Red envelopes also known as "red packets" "Ang Pow" "laisee" or "Hung-Bao" are way of giving money. At weddings normally the happy couple receive red envelopes containing money from relatives and guests. At new year it gets a little more complicated. Young kids get red envelopes containing money from relatives...but adult kids sometimes give them to their parents. They are also given for birthdays, to employees, to parents celebrating the first month of their childs birth and other important events.

The number of coins or notes in the ang pow may take advantage of the Chinese homophones. For instance, you can give a favourable amount ending with eight as it sounds like fortune in Chinese, or nine, which sounds like longevity. Four is not a good number to give as it sounds like death. You should always give money in even numbers though as to receive one or three or any other uneven number would be considered unlucky. However, to receive one Chinese i-ching coin in the envelope is considered very lucky.

The story of "ang pow" dates back to the Sung Dynasty in China. A village called Chang-Chieu was at the time terrorised by a huge demon. No one was capable of defeating it, not even their greatest warriors or statesmen. However, a young orphan armed with a magical sabre inherited from his ancestors fought the evil demon and eventually killed it. The villagers were triumphant and the elders presented the brave young man with an ang pow filled with money for his courage in saving them. Since then, the ang pow has become a part of traditional Chinese customs.

When giving money on festive or auspicious occasions, never put money in a white envelope or you would face the anger of the recipient! Money wrapped in white envelopes is given when the occasion is sad, like during funerals, when a gift of money is given to help with the funeral costs. This is called 'Pak Kum' money for the family of the departed.

Feb 7, 2009 13:15
  • GARYKINKADE
GAFFER, that is interesting information, don't think that I would ever utilize it, but very interesting anyway.
Feb 8, 2009 14:37
  • GAFFER
I agree Gary........our Chinese partners usually take care of such details ;o) However, with a fly-paper mind like mine, sometimes it gets so full I need to dump some to make space for more.
Post a Reply to: Learn to use chopsticks!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code