Menu
New CCTV's headquarters on fire last night!
Feb 10, 2009 02:33
  • JIMMYB
Last night, the new CCTV headquarters in Beijing was on fire when people celebrated the Lantern Festival. As for the cause, it was said that the fire was caused by setting off fireworks. So far, one fireman died and other six people got injured

Photo 1

Feb 10, 2009 02:34
  • JIMMYB
Photo 2

Feb 10, 2009 17:53
  • GARYKINKADE
CCTV 9 was and is my main source of information on China besides People's Daily and China Today.
Sorry to see and hear that it happened.
Arson or an accident?
Feb 11, 2009 08:00
  • JSUMMERS83
CCTV did a great job of taking blame while passing it off to another at the same time. Typical. CCTV and Microsoft are prime examples of why monopolies are a bad thing.

They admitted that they had approved a fireworks display from the building but quickly added that the employees used a higher grade of fireworks than is legal. So in other words, "Yea, it's our fault...kind of. Really it's their fault."
Feb 11, 2009 17:41
  • WCTMAN
There is a fine line between tragedy and comedy. Were it not for the death of the fireman and the injuries sustained by a few others, this event would rank as one of the funniest things I have ever heard. Who would have thought that if you combined matches and explosives within a residential or commecial backdrop that a fire might result? Even here in my own apartment complex, fireworks were launched within 50 feet of high rise apartment buildings, and we could see and even hear the sparks banging off the windows 100 feet up. An open window, a spark, and voila, a raging apartment fire. Idiots.
Feb 11, 2009 19:04
  • JIMMYB
Gary, it was an accident. As I said before, it was caused by fireworks. This is what I learnt from the newspaper. The luckiest thing is that this building hadn't been put into use yet. Therefore, the casualties was small. Anyway, the fire has caused big economic losses.
Post a Reply to: New CCTV's headquarters on fire last night!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code