Menu
US communication satellite collides with Russian satellite over Siberia
Feb 12, 2009 02:10
  • JOHNNY512
NASA said on February 11 that a US communication satellite collided with a deserted Russian satellite over northern Siberia, knowing both satellites out of the sky. The debris effect may threaten other satellites. The impact on the International Space Station is unknown. The Cosmos class often is a bit of a mystery, as the name is a generic reference for otherwise-unidentified Russian satellites. What was onboard the Cosmo satellite was unknown. In 1978, Cosmos spy satellite 954, carrying an onboard nuclear reactor, crashed over portions of Canada. Russia's old Mir space station break-up gave the world plenty of worries when it finally fell back to Earth in 2001. It was the largest chunk of space debris ever to impact back on Earth. The reasons for the collision has not been reported.

Feb 13, 2009 01:39
GUESTIMOTHY that's what the yanks like you (and everyone else) to believe... more likely it was a deliberate "take-out" by the american intel establishment. collision my foot!!
Feb 13, 2009 12:29
  • YINDUFFY
This Russian satellite was also nuclear powered. There is so much space junk in orbit it is a wonder it hasn't happened more often.
Feb 14, 2009 16:46
GUEST81761 What surprises me most about the collision is that the media isn't all over it. Is this one of "the public can't handle the truth" stories? My boss once asked me for my home phone number in case of an emergency, like Sept. 11th. I told him it would be useless, since only about 30% of calls would get thru in an actual civil emergency. Satelite blow-up brings that down even lower.
Apr 16, 2009 12:42
GUEST33172 hey its fat albert
Post a Reply to: US communication satellite collides with Russian satellite over Siberia
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code