Menu
What is 香火?
Feb 12, 2009 03:27
guest5199 My Chinese friends told me that Chinese people have strong sense of 香火观念. It is hard for me to understand 香火观念. Anyone call tell me what is 香火? Also what does “继后香灯"mean?
Feb 12, 2009 13:41
GUEST02315 It is a Chinese tradition to use 香 ( incense ) in ancestor worship.
Offsprings (always man) will light the 香.
Literally, 香火 is the fire of 香.
Not literally , but metaphorically, it means that The Family will continue, the family name will continue.
No offsprings (always man), No ancestor worship, No 香火.
Feb 17, 2009 23:48
GUEST21817 the other mean is when you go to buddha temple.people may will tell you"香火真旺" mean have a lot of people go to this budda temple for pray. if you buy the incense. candle for pray call"香火钱"
Jun 2, 2009 00:25
  • CHAICHAI
香火观念 is a traditional concept of maintaining the bloodline of a family. It is a feudalistic concept that a family must want boys not girls to be the heirs/descendants of the family. "继后香灯" also means "继后香火", suggests that to give birth to boys is a family" light "to continue the family. If the family doesn't have boys , the family will not have heirs, which is called the family "light" is extinguished "香火灭了" .
Jun 4, 2009 07:24
  • WUQUE214
that means,a family need a boy to light the incense every years in the memory days such as Tomb-sweeping Day...
the girls will get married and not stay with their parent,so they can not do it annually.
Post a Reply to: What is 香火?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code