Menu
What's the most unforgettable dish you ever had?
Feb 28, 2009 00:17
  • CHERRY07
What's the most unforgettable dish you ever had? The first dish you learnt to cook? The first dish that your BF/GF prepared for you? Or a dish that your mom cooked for you?
Feb 28, 2009 03:41
  • JABAROOTOO
My most memorable meal is none of the above.

I guess we all have something that we have VOWED NEVER to eat. I have a few things on my list but it is getting shorter all the time.

I was recently treated to a very special dish on a trip to Hainan where of course SEAFOOD is a real treat and specialty. In deference to my hosts I ate a few morsels of a strange looking seafood that I was offered.

It was dark brown, shiny and slimy looking and was not the kind of thing I would have chosen to eat but it actually tasted OK although a little chewy.

After finishing off the huge plate of steamed prawns that was the other main dish I checked my dictionary for the Chinese translation of this other strange dish which had sounded somewhat familiar.

海鲜 Haixian is a word I thought was being spoken so I wasn't too concerned as this is a generic term for 'seafood' but as I listened too the pinyin and typed in the letters I was shocked at the results that came up on my screen

海参 Haishen was what my new friends had ordered for me, one of the foods on my list of avowed foods never to pass my lips and here I was with several mouthfuls already in my belly.

All I could do was laugh and try to explain to my hosts why I laughed so heartily.

This Oriental delicacy is called by several unflattering names because it is such an ugly beast.

Sea slug and Sea cucumber and the somewhat more delicate name of Trepang which is probably derived from one of the other Asian languages and coutries which also considers this good eating.

These abound in the rock pools near my home but we have never felt compelled to try them.

One of my friends happened to see a live one in the flesh recently and now understands why I had no wish ever to try them. Ukkkkkkk........

One of my most memorable of meals

Mar 1, 2009 01:53
  • DAVEC
The most memorable dish I every had has Chengdu hotpot, it burnt when I ate it, hurt me next morning and the morning after that and the morning after that and so on for 2 weeks. Not so good but memorable.

Best food I ever had was a braised pork dish that I had in a restaurant on Shamian island in GZ. it had a lovely hint of ginger and was really tasty.
Post a Reply to: What's the most unforgettable dish you ever had?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code