Menu
Tasting Bird's Nest in Beijing
Mar 2, 2009 19:02
  • EDYHARTO
We visited Beijing some ten years ago and managed to climb the Great Wall to become a certified `hero'. I remember the cold weather and how nothing could stop the cold air from blowing, leaving cold dishes and tea.

Now we will be visiting Beijing in May 09 to see the bird nest stadium and other fantastic buildings of the Olympic.

Does anyone know what the weather is like then?

Any recommendations on food, sights and specials?

Thanks.
Mar 3, 2009 03:53
  • ELLYSE
Sorry, your questions are too general.
For food, what cuisine? What price range? Do you eat spicy or non-spicy?
What kind of sightseeing are you interested in?
What do you mean by "specials"?
Look on http://weather.msn.com/daily_averages.aspx?wealocations=wc:CHXX0008&weai=5 for historical weather data for Beijing in May.
Mar 3, 2009 22:26
  • EDYHARTO
Greetings to you Ellyse, As usual, the tour people would arrange for us to see the usual touristy places leaving one or two days free to us to explore. Therefore recommendations on Chinese food, something nice and cheap? say at RMB50 per head? Spicy food, we'd like that but not too oily and salty. We will be going to Forbidden city, Tian An Men Sq, Omument to People's Heroes, Performing Arts, Ju Yong Guan, 13 Ming Tombs, Water cabaret, Yi Hue Yuan, Dragon Boat Ride, Ya Siew Market, Temple of Heaven, TV Station building Qian Men, Hutong, Old Beijing Acrobatics, Olympic Park, etc. When I say specials I mean something unique, something we have not seen or experience before, for example, in Yangshuo, we saw the reminisces of Third Sister Liu... Any recommendations from you as to what we should see or experience? How is the weather in May? There are reports in the net, but sometimes I don't find them accurate.
Mar 4, 2009 21:34
  • ELLYSE
For food, try the restaurants on Gui Jie (Ghost Street).
I really wouldn't know what you hadn't seen or experienced before! Maybe try Donghuamen night snacks market?
Did you look at the URL for weather? If historical averages aren't accurate enough for you... I don't know what would be.
Mar 6, 2009 04:15
  • EDYHARTO
Thanks again for your suggestion to try the restaurants on Gui Jie (Ghost Street) and the Donghuamen market. We'll do that. The name of Gui Jie is unique enough. Do you happen to know why it is Gui Jie?

The URL on weather reported average low temperate as 12C which to me is quite cold and I was thinking of taking a sweater along. But if this is only at night I think there is no need. What do you think?
Mar 6, 2009 07:31
  • ELLYSE
Gui is actually the name for one of the cooking utensils in ancient times. This character is homonymous with the character for "ghost".
Definitely bring a sweater. Currently in Shanghai I'm still wearing down coat as it's especially cold this year.
Jun 4, 2009 17:22
  • EDYHARTO
Hi, we are back from the Bird''s Nest and the Great Wall, both the marvels of modern world. I would recommend these two as must-see spots in a trip to Beijing. The Bird''s Nest Stadium is not only where the history of Olympics 2009 is made but where China shows it glory and culture in its stunning opening and closing ceremony. Clearly it is the best Olympics ever and only because the Bird''s Nest is unique.....However, because of the dust from the wind, it may take some good housekeeping to keep the place sparkling again.

The Great Walls of course is one of the wonders of the world and looking, feeling and touching it at close hand is a great excitement for any traveller. As we walked the wide walls, we wonder how much efforts were made to build it...even with today''s modern technology.

The highlights for us in our Beijing Tour are two events:
(a) the Bodhisattva-on-Holy-Water show which featured skating ballets and choreographed beautiful performers with good music.

(b) the big-screen-at-ceiling-video show at The Place. This is where men and women become boys and girls again as we marvelled at the myriad fishes swimming overhead and the transformation of a large flying saucer into Optimus Prime or was it Decepticons? Whatever, it was nice to watch and all this with good music and cool air.

I'll tell you more when time permits.

Jun 9, 2009 19:44
  • EDYHARTO

A picture speaks a thousand words. I don't know whether it is the climate or it's in the genes. This lady is definitely a beauty to behold. She performed at the same show that I mentioned earlier.

Jun 10, 2009 20:26
  • EDYHARTO
Temple of Heaven - Praying for good harvest - what an humble experience to see and know that Great Emperors of China made their way for hundred of miles to pray for good harvest and plenty. Beside the main altar are two roles of life-like-bull-statues, eight in all. Fantastic!

Jun 11, 2009 21:02
  • EDYHARTO
This is Optimus Prime or rather Decepticon at The Place. It's only a photo - to enjoy the ambience, look for The Place in Beijing!

Jun 13, 2009 17:59
  • EDYHARTO

At our timely arrival, Fuwa was there to greet us!

Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Tasting Bird's Nest in Beijing
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code