Menu
Should he pay for two lost bronze sculptures?
Mar 5, 2009 01:00
  • SUMMERSNOW
Cai Mingchao, a Chinese antique collector, successfully bid for two looted bronze animal heads auctioned in Paris but he said last week that he wouldn't pay for them. Why? These two bronze sculptures belong to China and the French should return them back.

He has won much support from Chinese people. A survey made by Sina portal says that about 70 percent netizens support Cai not to pay for the money. And many French people also think that they should be returned to China. Of course, some people think Cai was wrong. He made the bid and finally won so that he should pay for them.

Well, I'd like to listen you guys' opinions. Should he pay for those two bronze animal heads?

Note: These two bronze animal heads were looted when the Old Summer Palace (Yuanmingyuan) was burned down by Anglo-French allied forces during the Second Opium War in 1860.

So far, 5 of 12 animal heads have been returned while five others are still unknown.

This is Cai Mingchao.

Mar 5, 2009 01:41
  • ALLYHOUSE
I dont agree on this guy's behaviour. His behaviour just like singer Mr.Liu didnt wear tuxedo.

All I want to say is "they" dont only just owe China two lost bronze sculptures.
Mar 5, 2009 03:46
  • JIMMYB
Well, he was lucky to ruin the auction this time. However, we can't guarantee that he can still win the bid next time. I agree that such relics should be returned to China unconditionally. However, Cai's method is not the proper way.
Mar 5, 2009 21:50
  • SHESGOTTOBE
If he wanted the sculptures back for the Chinese people, he should have just said so directly. Why did he have to place a bid? That's deception. I agree that those treasures be given back to the Chinese people, not to a private collector, especially won't trust such treasures to someone so deceiving.
Last edited by SHESGOTTOBE: Mar 5, 2009 21:51
Mar 6, 2009 01:17
GUESTHEM Cai Mingchao should be praised for bringing world attention to this YTL auction - he is a patriot.

Greedy attempts to profit from selling STOLEN properties belonging to China should be despised . This barbaric practice of the West should be condemned and rectified, yet countries like France, Britain and a few others close their eyes to this disgraceful trade.

Pay for it? No sir, the ones to pay for looting should pay by immediately returning all items stolen from China.
Mar 6, 2009 04:38
  • DODGER
My Wife's Grandfather had a priceless and irreplaceable library burnt by five men wearing red armbands some years ago. It took them three days to destroy it.
If the bronze pieces had been in China at the time, would these same men have destroyed them?
Dodger.
Mar 7, 2009 13:27
  • REMAG1234
There have been many requests for the return of the bronzes. I cannot blame him for disrupting the auction. What more can you expect for the French. I can see both sides.
Mar 18, 2009 05:59
  • YINDUFFY
The art and auction community is outraged that after the bidding process was complete, the winning bidder refused to pay. This action made all future Chinese bidders suspect and thus the Chinese people have "lost face".
Mar 18, 2009 19:13
  • REMAG1234
To Hell with the Art and Auction Community. Are they without sin selling Fake, Knock-Off Art, hell no. What is it about the words--Looted & Stolen you do not understand?
Mar 18, 2009 19:20
  • MARRIE
The negative side of it is Chinese bidder is less trustworthy in international aution market!
Post a Reply to: Should he pay for two lost bronze sculptures?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code