Menu
Horns of a dilemma
Mar 15, 2009 06:42
  • GAFFER
My partner is currently in her second year studying for a degree at a Guangzhou college. The degree is an intensive part time, two nights, all day Sunday and occasional Saturdays course designed for students in full time employment. I have to admire her determination and hard work with this workload. Like many courses there is a mandatory English element. At the beginning of the term students were informed that the college could not provide teachers for two subjects, one of them being English, but that material would be provided for them online. There would also be no partial refund of fees . Bearing in mind that many students had little spare time or access to computers they were not pleased. A minor student classroom revolt persuaded the college to relent and provide one teacher, but not for English. My partner, being one of the more proficient in English and the only one with a laowai English “husband” is not surprisingly very popular with her 60 plus classmates. I suggested that she could make some money here but she wouldn’t hear of it. I was duly appointed chief unpaid English advisor (thank you my love ;o), and the document, all 23 pages, downloaded.

Part 1 wasn’t too difficult. A case of; complete the missing words from four choices, although one or two were a little ambiguous. However, Part 2; Reading Comprehension brought frowns, looks of consternation, perplexed expressions and near panic in some cases. This comprised of reading some text and answering questions from the four options provided. The problem was that the students answers didn’t correspond to the answers provided on the last page of the document….which I have to admit I hadn’t even looked at (too confident or just plain arrogant?) I checked and double checked. In one section out of 20 questions, 12 of the answers provided were completely wrong.

So, my dilemma is, should I let the “revolting” students sort out the problem themselves or should I write a letter to the head of department as a native English speaker, respectfully pointing out the errors? Obviously I don’t wish to start an International incident or bring down the wroth of an embarrassed college on to my partner. Any advice?
Mar 15, 2009 16:17
  • DAVEC
If students are learning and there are errors then someone needs to know so it can be corrected.
Mar 15, 2009 21:49
  • LEMONCACTUS
Hi Gaffer,

I heard a similar tale from a student of mine years ago (wonder if it's the same source?) In their case, the teacher was Chinese and insisted on the book's answers being correct - much to the utter consternation of the students.

I agree with DaveC, I think you have an obligation to tell the college - if I were in your shoes, I would. After all, they probably have no idea of the errors, having just randomly selected some English materials from somewhere, and will (hopefully) be quite pleased that you've pointed them out. Just be very polite about it.

Isn't it dreadful though. Why don't they employ a Chinese English teacher or foreigner just for a couple of hours class a week, it wouldn't cost much weighed against the fees paid by 60 students would it?!

LC

LC
Mar 15, 2009 22:06
  • DODGER
Gaffer, I think you need to be extremely diplomatic in pointing out any errors.
A face to face meeting may be better than sending a note.
Dodger.
Mar 16, 2009 08:16
  • JABAROOTOO
Hi Gaffer,
Agree with all the rest but you know, I think it's about time some people 'lost a bit of face'.

There are just too many students who are subjected to this kind of 'rubbish' because too many 'scholars' are too scared to admit they don't have the skills and too scared of 'losing face' if they ask for the 'right' help.

Yes be polite but if you have found that many problems I don't see what they can do if you correct them and submit them face to face.
Make sure you also give all the student s a copy to be sure that your advice is not ignored.

This often happens regardless.
Mar 16, 2009 11:15
  • GRIZ326
Geeeeesh, Jabarootoo, you're becoming a rabble-rouser. Your suggestion of giving a copy to the students makes me squirm a bit, but then you've been dealing with the situation for a long time and certainly know what is necessary.

...and Gaffer, I agree with everyone else your wife put you in a pickle on this one. :)
Mar 16, 2009 11:58
  • GAFFER
Thanks for the advice guys, the situation becomes even more intriguing. I now suspect that this paper might be the actual exam paper. I understand that students have to pass this, along with the other subjects to pass the whole year, and results are important in the Chinese education system. However, the level is way above the ability of many in the class. As the system of learning tends to be by Rote in China, I think the idea is that the students will be expected to learn the answers without necessarily understanding them. So, if a non English teacher marks the papers using the answers provided, those who learn the wrong answers will pass, but those who fill in the correct answers could fail....hmmm
Post a Reply to: Horns of a dilemma
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code