Menu
pollution
Feb 15, 2005 20:36
  • MOREORLESS
There is a problem but I agree its a bit rich for the US to critisize a still devolping country like China when they wont even sign up to the kyoto treaty themselves.

As to the effects of the pollution I guess it depends how long you intend of staying, the only place I visited that was bad enough to effect me slightly in the short term was Chongqing. Beijing was pretty murky but not really any worse than LA and Shanghai was actually guite clear in the city center.
Feb 15, 2005 20:39
  • MOREORLESS
Ignore/Delete this, mispost from another thread.
Feb 15, 2005 22:18
  • SPORTENNIS
Moreorless,

You are right about our current leader and the Kyoto assembly. I did not support President Bush for some of those reasons. I don't believe he supports anti-pollution efforts because he seems to support big business that cares for nothing more than the US dollar. We all need to make money to live in our societies but if we live in a world filled with poison then what is the use. The earth is too precious to risk it to greed and ignorance.

Brent

Feb 16, 2005 01:37
  • FIDLA
I agree. Shanghai is very clear, so is Dalian. It certainly is understandable why inland China is so polluted. What with so many factories and all. Someone said last night that China DOES have regulations against pollution by factories. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of those regulations (preferably in English)?
Feb 16, 2005 02:31
  • ELCABRON
Fidla, check my message to you in the AIR POLLUTION forum. I only found a white paper (first hit on google). You can look up more for yourself.
It is known that the CN government strenghtens the Bureau for environmental protection - BUT the administration of the single states in CN and powerful economic bosses try to block and even ignore regulations for more economic growth. Like I said so many times before: It is a trade-off between economic growth and environmental protection. And when a country is not yet full developed it is very hard to explain people why they should reduce economic investment and spend money for the environment.
Just an example: Ask Mr. Bush, he doesn? like it, too. Even though the States are well developed.(Don? be offended just because you are a Gringo!)
Feb 16, 2005 04:12
  • SPORTENNIS
ELCABRON,

No name calling please. However it is funny... A Gringo? Come on.

Brent
Feb 16, 2005 04:29
  • ELCABRON
Names calling?????????

You must be kidding!

Just because some people get offended by a simple example, like the USA were on my former post!!!!
I can? see NO offence......

Somebody must be very sensitive....:-)

If I chose a different example, everything is fine?!?

Ok, Russia did not sign the treaty until half a year ago. (But Russia got other reasons for that, and the state of development is also not that good...)

Are we friends again? ;-)
Feb 16, 2005 07:30
  • SPORTENNIS
Ofcourse we're friends. Now tell me, is China so hot in June that it's unbearable?
Feb 16, 2005 08:53
  • MERMAID
June is ok but it really depends which part of China u go to.
Feb 16, 2005 09:34
  • MERMAID
Filda, for foreign invested ventures,there are many regulations and i guess there must be english copies. You can find them either online or ask the local admimistration of industry and commerce for help.
Post a Reply to: pollution
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code