Menu
Travelling in China alone as a woman
Apr 8, 2009 11:31
guest18648 I'm a Canadian Chinese woman in my 20's and I plan on travelling to China alone for two months. I'm on a budget and plan to do the whole backpacking thing and stay at hostels. I don't speak Mandarin at all and I was wondering how safe it is for me to go to the following areas: Beijing, Shanghai, Xian, Chengdu, Jiuzhaigou, Guilin, Qingdao, Huangshan, Yunnan, Chongqing. I plan to get to each of these places by train, and bus if needed.

Now, I have heard my fair share of rumours: tourists being kidnapped, pickpocketing, tourists being attacked, people trying to infect you with diseases, organ harvesting, etc. I'm assuming that most of these rumours (except for the pickpocketing) are either rare or just ridiculous, but since I haven't been to China, I'd like to hear it from people who have been to these places. Exactly how safe is it, and would you recommend me (a solo female asian) to go ahead with it?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Apr 9, 2009 00:12
  • SCOTTYU
Sounds like too dangerous. but not true. Pickpocketing is everywhere. You just be attention to your money. I don't think thieves in China have good skill then in other countries. All the place are good and safe. Two months will be a long travel. I have friends to offer for help, but i don't think she is tough enough if you meet something unexpected. While i am a young man. 24. just graduated from college and major English. I suggest you go with a reliable tough enough people to go with you, then you will not be cheated when buying something at a new place. Please email me , see if I can find the right person for you and we may discuss. hotmail.com|lianglish
Apr 9, 2009 04:56
  • ELLYSE
I've been here almost 6 years, travelled quite a bit solo as well. Biggest danger so far has been pickpocketing and traffic!
Apr 9, 2009 06:40
GUEST41197 No. I could not quite agree. Compairing to other countries China is the safest country I will ever have been. If you are travelling to Zhejiang, just do give me a favour. We can arrange free hostel for you here. Thank you
Apr 9, 2009 10:42
  • KSWONG
The places you named are mostly tourist destinations so you shld be fine. At the hostels, you could hook up with fellow travelers to visit some places as a group. There is safety in numbers. I have known of ladies being knocked senseless and robbed but usually in remote places. Not understanding Mandarin is a major setback so keep that "tourist police hotline number" handy.
Apr 9, 2009 11:41
  • JABAROOTOO
You'll be find.

Have a good phrase book

Avoid Taxis that will not use the meter Ask them to Da biao if not walk away until you find one that will

When you find that you are being crowded and hustled near bus or train stations, just walk away and take your time to ask other people

And yes be careful of your belongings. It's a good idea to keep a change purse separate from the bulk of your cash.
Use debit cards to withdraw money to last you two/three days.

I've had several attempts on my belongings from pick pockets duirng my six years here and l recently lost a camera but that was partly due to me not having it in a safe place at the time it happened which was a crowded market area.

You may also find that you will meet others at Hostels who you can share some travel time with so you will not be on your own all the time.

Never leave you things unattended. Leave them at Hostels, hotels or Train and bus left luggage offices where you get a receipt but of course never leave your valuables there either.

On overnight sleeper trains be sure to sleep with your valuables and take them with you to the bathroom. It should be OK to leave you pack unattended for short periods on the trip and I usually find that other travelers will keep and eye on things.

Take a pack of cards when traveling on trains for long trips. You can teach people, especially kids how to play simple games with you. Also have a couple of family photos to show them.
And also carry a few snacks to offer to share with your compartment. This will help to break the ice although they will probably offer you something to eat anyway.

Have a great time. Don't forget to learn a few phrases

Post a Reply to: Travelling in China alone as a woman
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code