Menu
The Most Complicated Chinese Words 之着
Apr 14, 2009 08:41
  • PAGANBOY
Two chinese words which drive me up the wall are 之and 着. Despite numerous inquiries, nobody seems to be able to give me a clear explanation. Does anyone else think they're perplexing, or am I just thick?
Apr 14, 2009 22:06
  • SAKEFREE
I think the problem is you didn't give a context. those words have many different meanings under different circumdances, they are perplexing yes.
I am just trying my best to throw some light upon your puzzle.

1. first of all, it is a pronoun, it can replace a person, a thing and a matter. I would like to give you a example. 为之, means do something, here 为 means do, and 之 is a pronoun replacing a certain thing.
2 it is a auxiliary word, if we say A 之 B, means A's B or B of A, like 上帝之名, means in god's name. or 千里之行, means a jounrney of a thousand miles.

1 if we put 着 behind a verb, that means the action is happening right now, kind of like the present tense in English. for example, 吃着饭, means eating.
2 sometimes we use it and another word together to describe a feeling or a sence. for example 着火 means on fire, 着急 means anxious.
I think it will be easier for you to remember some phrases, they will help you understand their meanings
Post a Reply to: The Most Complicated Chinese Words 之着
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code