Menu
Need HELP with China west tour departing Shanghai.
May 13, 2009 07:50
  • KLENOG
Greetings world.

I will arrive in Shanghai on Aug 2nd, 09.

My plan is then travel to Xi'an on August 4th, 2009, by train
Then onto:
- Chengdu ( by Train) on 8th Aug
- Chongqing ( by Train) on 11th Aug
- Yichang to Zhuzhou ( Yangtze River cruise boat ) on 14th Aug
- Guilin ( by Train ) on 17th Aug.
- Kunming ( by Train ) on 19th Aug
- Dali ( by Bus) on 20th Aug
- Kunming ( by Train) on 21st Aug
then back to Shanghai on 22nd Aug
Departing Shanghai for Sydney, Australia on 25th Aug.

I am NOT Chinese, but Australian, but manage a little Cantonese only. No written Chinese at all. Maybe I will purchase a talking language translator in China???

Any comment on best value 4 $$$ of realistic voices…etc.

MY question is can I book ALL these different leg of my journey from Australia NOW and get seat or travel confirmation?

Who are the best and or most reliable agency in CHINA to book these ALL through?

Another specific issue is bacause I shall be arriving in Kunming on Thursday 20th August, 2009 @ 11:30am.

During my very short stay as an independent male traveler on this occasion I want to travel also into DALI.

My questions relate to where and how I should best split my time between both ( if at all) as I leave Kunmimg for Shanghai on Saturday 4:30pm by train.

I want to spend as little time as possible doing nothing but see everything.
Maybe travel overnight between Kunming and Dali is an option to maximize my sightseeing in Dali…

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter........ thanks.... GREG
May 14, 2009 07:14
GUEST91926
Hope I get some help with this as I feel really hopeless in China.
May 14, 2009 10:38
GUESTYISHA hi greg,
firstly.. u cant got all those tickets done in au. since they dont provide online service for booking train/bus tickets... u got to go the bus/railway station to get them... or some local agencies.. for the trip to kunming n dali.. i would say rather take a flight from dali to shanghai.. instead of going back to kunming then go to shanghai by train.. since the price for the flight wont be much more expensive than the train.. and u will have more time to staying in dali. hope it helps.. yisha... gmail.com|yisha.chang
May 14, 2009 22:12
  • ELLYSE
No, you can't book trains and buses now, much less from Australia. Train tickets go on sale 10 days in advance, and bus tickets usually no more than that either. Tickets must be bought in-country, either in person or through a proxy.
I doubt there're ferries for Yichang -- Zhuzhou, where did you get that from?
I should be able to help you out for Shanghai -- Xi'an, Xi'an -- Chengdu and Guilin -- Kunming. I would advise that you fly Kunming -- Shanghai as the train takes close to 2 full days.
Without knowing more about your sightseeing interests and preferences, I wouldn't venture to answer your last question.
May 16, 2009 02:44
GUESTSRATCHU... Any comment on best value 4 $$$ of realistic voices…etc.

(Well for 19 days in Yunnan I spent about Singapore dollars 1500/- This includes all Transport / Accomodation and food... With a one way ticket flight from Hanoi to Kunming... )

MY question is can I book ALL these diffThis includeerent leg of my journey from Australia NOW and get seat or travel confirmation?

(No... But its still okay to book on the day of travel unless you are there during the peak season)

Who are the best and or most reliable agency in CHINA to book these ALL through?

(I have booked bus tickets from YNTAC Travel very good buses but a little pricey but worries of being late, Overloading and Breakdowns... very recomended)

Another specific issue is bacause I shall be arriving in Kunming on Thursday 20th August, 2009 @ 11:30am.
During my very short stay as an independent male traveler on this occasion I want to travel also into DALI.
My questions relate to where and how I should best split my time between both ( if at all) as I leave Kunmimg for Shanghai on Saturday 4:30pm by train.

(Like i have said in your other post... Kunming is a large city... Dali has the Old town to chill)

I want to spend as little time as possible doing nothing but see everything.
Maybe travel overnight between Kunming and Dali is an option to maximize my sightseeing in Dali…

(It takes 4.5 hours to travel from Dali to Kunming on YNTAC bus... Train it takes about 6 hours... Obvious huh??!)

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter........ thanks.... GREG
May 16, 2009 03:08
  • ELLYSE
IIRC the Kunming -- Dali daytime train takes more than 6 hours. However the overnight trains are better than the buses despite taking longer -- you need time to sleep anyway.
May 19, 2009 00:16
GUEST21129 Yichang to Zhuzhou
(宜昌-株洲)at JiangXi(江西)
Post a Reply to: Need HELP with China west tour departing Shanghai.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code