Menu
An Australian needing HELP with China west tour departing Shanghai.
May 14, 2009 07:26
  • KLENOG
Greetings world.

I will arrive in Shanghai on Aug 2nd, 09.

My plan is then travel to Xi'an on August 4th, 2009, by train
Then onto:
- Chengdu ( by Train) on 8th Aug
- Chongqing ( by Train) on 11th Aug
- Yichang to Zhuzhou ( Yangtze River cruise boat ) on 14th Aug
- Guilin ( by Train ) on 17th Aug.
- Kunming ( by Train ) on 19th Aug
- Dali ( by Bus) on 20th Aug
- Kunming ( by Train) on 21st Aug
then back to Shanghai on 22nd Aug
Departing Shanghai for Sydney, Australia on 25th Aug.

I am NOT Chinese, but Australian, but manage a little Cantonese only. No written Chinese at all. Maybe I will purchase a talking language translator in China???

Any comment on best value 4 $$$ of realistic voices…etc.

MY question is can I book ALL these different leg of my journey from Australia NOW and get seat or travel confirmation?

Who are the best and or most reliable agency in CHINA to book these ALL through?

Another specific issue is bacause I shall be arriving in Kunming on Thursday 20th August, 2009 @ 11:30am.

During my very short stay as an independent male traveler on this occasion I want to travel also into DALI.

My questions relate to where and how I should best split my time between both ( if at all) as I leave Kunmimg for Shanghai on Saturday 4:30pm by train.

I want to spend as little time as possible doing nothing but see everything.
Maybe travel overnight between Kunming and Dali is an option to maximize my sightseeing in Dali…

I appreciate any and all advice in this matter........ thanks.... GREG
May 14, 2009 22:13
  • ELLYSE
No, you can't book trains and buses now, much less from Australia. Train tickets go on sale 10 days in advance, and bus tickets usually no more than that either. Tickets must be bought in-country, either in person or through a proxy.
I doubt there're ferries for Yichang -- Zhuzhou, where did you get that from?
I should be able to help you out for Shanghai -- Xi'an, Xi'an -- Chengdu and Guilin -- Kunming. I would advise that you fly Kunming -- Shanghai as the train takes close to 2 full days.
Without knowing more about your sightseeing interests and preferences, I wouldn't venture to answer your last question.
Jun 30, 2009 00:25
GUESTWENDY Nice to meet you ! I am living and working in Shanghai China mainland now(at least 9years). I am very happy to give you some helpful advises and I would like to act as an tour guide in Shanghai. At the same time ,I think I could help you go to other city by ticket order- train or plane. Well, maybe plane is more convience in China and it has much sale in Shanghai. If you have any questions ,pls email or msn to me : yahoo.com.cn|dcw11tree. And my telephone number is 8621 13564750612
Jul 1, 2009 04:47
  • KIWICHINESE
try ctrip for bookings - if it's not too late
Jul 1, 2009 05:52
  • YINMEI
Yep, there is boat connection between Chongqing and Yichang only. But you could catch train 2285 departs Yichang at 19:19 and arrives in Zhuzhou at 04:02, then transfer a train to Guilin directly. Another option is to take a bus from Yichang to Wuhan for 4 hours after boat, then catch train K21 departs Wuchang at 00:49 and arrives in Guilin at 12:29.

The Kunming Nanyao Long Distance Bust Station in near Kunming Train Station. So you could catch a bus to Dali for 5 hours on same day arriving in Kunming, then take a bus back to Kunming another day.

Cheers!

Post a Reply to: An Australian needing HELP with China west tour departing Shanghai.
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code