Menu
Shanghai: Getting to the Hotel
May 17, 2009 21:50
  • STMON99
Okay, thanks to answers to my question regarding changing money during the "minor" Dragon Boat holiday, my anxiety about being stuck with no money has been abated.

Now, to the next question. I'll be leaving on vacation to Shanghai at the end of the week and really looking forward to it (and praying often that no one on my flight will have swine flu!).

I think I want to take the Maglev into the city. And then from there, take the metro. I believe the Maglev pulls into a station that is also a metro stop on the number 2 line, is that right? Or do I have to walk a distance to the metro stop?

I'm staying at the Manhattan Bund Business hotel which I believe is also very close to a Metro stop?

I guess basically I'm trying to decide this: after taking the Maglev into the city, should I just grab a taxi to my hotel, or is taking the metro the rest of the way pretty simple? After a very long flight, I want to simply get to my hotel (but I'm also a very frugal guy ).
May 18, 2009 14:11
  • ELLYSE
The Longyang Lu metro stop is next to the Maglev terminus, but you'll have to go down, walk across, then up again.
No, Manhattan Bund Business Hotel isn't really near a metro stop. It's around 10 mins walking distance to Nanjing Donglu metro stop (correct, line 2) but you'll be facing a lot of people enroute (this is the non-pedestrianised part of Nanjing Lu) and quite a lot of construction near your hotel -- your hotel is behind Peace Hotel, which's currently under heavy renovation.
Actually, I think the cheapest way would be to take airport shuttle no.5 (probably 16 RMB/pax to People's Square), alight at People's Square and then take a taxi (no more than 20 RMB) to your hotel. You would be able to get to your hotel for less cost than the Maglev alone!
If you have any more queries, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg STMON99) in the subject line, thanks.
May 19, 2009 22:31
  • STMON99
Thanks for the tip! I've been doing a lot of research on the Internet but it's so hard to figure out exactly how far my hotel (and where, exactly it is) is from a metro stop. And I've read postings from people who say "it's near", but your description describes exactly what my situation would be, and I certainly don't want to be dragging my luggage through crowds to get to my hotel.
Sep 8, 2009 07:52
  • LINDAL
Hi Ellyse

I'll be staying in Junan Design Hotel, 693 West Nanjing Road. According to you, airport shuttle no 5 goes from Pudong airport to People's Square. Can I know exactly which part of People's Square is the stop and if I'll be able to return to the airport at the same place. I've been to this area before, so if you could tell me where is the stop, it would be a great help as I cant speak mandarin.

Thanks.
Sep 8, 2009 10:14
  • ELLYSE
If you're staying at A-Live Design Hotel then it would be better to take airport shuttle no.2 (19 RMB) to Jing'an Temple metro stop, then take metro line 2 for 1 stop, alight at Nanjing Xilu stop then walk to your hotel.
Sep 9, 2009 02:35
GUEST48167
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELLYSE

If you're staying at A-Live Design Hotel then it would be better to take airport shuttle no.2 (19 RMB) to Jing'an Temple metro stop, then take metro line 2 for 1 stop, alight at Nanjing Xilu stop then walk to your hotel.

I just took shuttle bus line2. The fare should be 22RMB for each person.
Sep 9, 2009 04:31
  • ELLYSE
Apologies for that, looked at the wrong information.
Sep 10, 2009 04:50
  • LINDAL
Thanks for your help.

BTW, does anyone know if the Hotel Shuttle Bus of Pudong International Airport is still operating. I found this info from http://chinaairlinetravel.com/airport-guide/shanghai-airport/pudong-airport-hotel-bus.htm.
Sep 10, 2009 07:03
  • ELLYSE
No.
Post a Reply to: Shanghai: Getting to the Hotel
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code