Menu
Young children & Elderly
Jun 3, 2009 04:19
guest57151 Hi, my family has 2 young children (1yr old & 4yrs old) and 2 elderly (>60yrs old). Is it possible to travel Jiu Zhai Gou and Huanglong by ourselves? We would like to enjoy the place at our own pace and not rush through so I do not intend to join the tour group. How many days is advisable?
Is it necessary to drive in the park or we can take buses conveniently?
Any affordable and suitable lodging/food recommendations? Any other points/tips for children and elderly?
Jun 3, 2009 08:51
  • JABAROOTOO
You would need transport to and from the park. Taxis offer flat rate services to all locations which you can find at the airport parking but you could negotiate a deal for a few days travel. Jiuzhaigou is an hour from the airport and there is an airport shuttle bus and some hotels run their own shuttles but be sure to arrive during the daylight hours.

At Jiuzhaigou you'll not be able to walk the whole park as it is rather large. You will need to buy the internal bus pass and use the bus when you don't wish to walk the longer sections between sights.

I've never been to Huanglong so can't advise but it is closer to the aiport and same deal applies with taxi.

If you are going to visit both places then you could try Songpan for accommodation and there is another place (Read reviews) about 7kms from the airport with lots of hotels, restaurants and tourist type shops and this is where most of the Nationals stay but Songpan is quieter. Emma's Cafe in Songpan is a good source of information and help if you need it to arrange transport.

Otherwise book into a hotel in Juizaigou but you'll nee at least three nights to cover everything without rushing too much

Jun 3, 2009 19:59
  • ELLYSE
It's possible to DIY, but I wouldn't advise taking the toddler to such high altitude.
Take buses in Jiuzhaigou park, no need to drive yourselves.
Jun 4, 2009 04:28
GUESTLYN Hi Ellyse,

As the whole family is going, we need to bring the children along for the trip. We brought the older one to Mt Fuji (~2300m) when he was 1 yr old and he was fine. In case they cannot adapt, we will keep them at the hotel.

We will follow your advice to do DIY so that when anyone is not well, we have time to rest or head back to hotel. Now, I will have to book lodging and flight.

Thank you for your reply.

Jun 4, 2009 04:40
GUESTLYN Hi Jabarootoo,

Thank you for your advise on the transport and accommodation.

You mentioned at least 3 nights, does that include Huanglong? How many days at Jiu Zhai Gou & Huanglong respectively?

Also, I need some advise on what type of food is available in the park. Can we find porridge or bread in the park for the children? Or we have to buy and bring in?

Jun 4, 2009 04:57
GUESTLYN Dear all, I would also like to visit hailougou, ermei shan and leshan. Is it easy to DIY? Or can I book transportation and driver from Chengdu? If so, any experienced and reliable driver to recommend?

For a slower pace trip, how many days should I spend at each location (we do not want to rush around with the children & elderly)?

Please advise. Thank you.
Jun 4, 2009 06:49
  • ELLYSE
Porridge and other similar watery foods aren't going to be readily available in the area, I think. Bread would be a possibility but don't expect Gardenia standard.
I would say perhaps 3 days for Hailuogou (including transport to and from Chengdu), perhaps 3 days for Emeishan. Leshan can be done as a daytrip from Chengdu.
I should be able to help you out with flight and accommodation arrangements. If you need help with those, email me at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "VirtualTourist" and your own username in the subject line, thanks.
Post a Reply to: Young children & Elderly
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code