Menu
Trip preparations to China
Jun 3, 2009 22:03
  • MACHNHUTIEN
Dear All,

We plan to travel to China end of October with route: Nanning - Guilin - Kunming - Chengdu - Jiuizhaigou - Emei Mt.
Our trip is tentatively about 10-12 days but I'm not sure whether chosen destinations are resonable to limit reverse order. We don't book trans-tour instead of designing by ourselves therefore I'd like to ask your advice and recommendation of those things:

1.Transportation: most important, I'd like to ask the transportation means to each destination (by bus/train/air) with resonable price and where to book e-tickets (pls advise me the websites and price if possible):
- From Nanning to Guilin
- From Guilin to Kunming
- From Kunming to Chengdu
- From Chengdu to Jiuizhaigou
- From Jiuizhaigou back to Nanning (because we're based in Vietnam, from Nanning we can be back)

2. Accommodations: that would be great if we can find some hostels/guest houses.

3. Which is the most recommended/main place to visit of each destination?

We're very appreciated any help of those who are open mind to share your experience. Thank you so much. You can send to me via gmail.com|machnhutien
Last edited by MACHNHUTIEN: Jun 3, 2009 22:07
Jun 3, 2009 23:11
  • CHARLOTT
Hi MACHNHUTIEN,
Maybe you could try the following website, they could book both e-tickets and hotels for you.
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/hotel/
http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-flights/
Jun 9, 2009 07:08
  • ELLYSE
I really think that you're trying to cover too much ground in too few days.
It would be the prime season for Jiuzhaigou, but you would need 2-3 days for this, assuming you're including Huanglong as well. You would have to fly, buses aren't recommended for this destination, and there're no trains. Look on http://www.jiuzhai.com/language/english/index.html for good information about various aspects of Jiuzhaigou.
I've heard that Emeishan needs at least 2 days, if you do it in a day you're not realistically going to see anything.
Similarly I would give Chengdu at least 2 days.
I would leave Kunming for another occasion where I could combine it with other worthy destinations in Yunnan province. There's no need to squeeze it in as what, a stopover destination??
Guilin/Yangshuo is relatively close to Nanning and can be done in about 3-5 days. Stay in Yangshuo instead of Guilin as Guilin is just a tourist city catering to Chinese tour groups. Look on http://www.yangers.com for good information about what you could do and see there.
Looking at this, I would advise that you skip Kunming (leave it for another trip), and perhaps also skip Emeishan if you run out of time. If you're entering and exiting via Nanning, then a reasonable itinerary would be: Nanning (transit) -- bus -- Yangshuo (4 days) -- bus -- Guilin (transit) -- flight -- Chengdu (transit) -- flight -- Jiuzhaigou (3 days) -- flight -- Chengdu (4 days including Emeishan) -- flight -- Nanning.
I should be able to help you get all the flight tickets that you need, as well as perhaps accommodation bookings. What price range are you looking at for accommodation?
Nanning -- Guilin: bus
Guilin -- Kunming: flight, or overnight train
Kunming -- Chengdu: flight, or long-ish overnight train
Chengdu -- Jiuzhaigou: flight
Jiuzhaigou -- Nanning: flight via Chengdu
Jun 25, 2009 22:40
  • MACHNHUTIEN
Hi Ellyse,

Thanks so much for your comments. After checking, we realize the unreasonable points of our plan. Certainly that we don't have enough to cover all destinations in such a short time like you said. Shortly we re-schedule with some destinations:
Nanning - Chengdu - Jiuzhaigou - Huanglong - Emeishan - Lijiang - Nanning

We really like to visit Lijiang and want to combine in this trip on the way back to Nanning. Detail as below:

1. Nanning - Chengdu: flight, we don't intend to stay in Nanning, from Nanning, we'll take flight directly to Chengdu
2. Chengdu - Jiuzhaigou: flight. I heard that from Jiuzhaigou, you can take bus to Huanglong and also Emeishan - tentatively all these place 7 days
3. Chengdu to Lijiang: flight - tentatively 3 days in Lijiang.
4. Lijiang - Nanning; actually I don't know which transportation mean available to come back Nanning because I did check flight schedule but no flight from Lijiang to Nanning.

That would be big great and most appreciated if you can help to check the ticket schedule and fare for us. Normally I check on english-ctrip.com but the fares seem to be higher than actual. We prefer to travel as backpackers, staying in hostels, eat the local food...^_^ Our big worry is transportation means between destinations.Unfortanately we don't have any friends in China and this is our first trip to China so any help whether any kind is highly appreciated to us. Below is our tentative schedule for air ticket checking:

1. Nanning - Chengdu: Oct-17-09 (evening flight because we will come to Nanning around 3pm)
2. Chengdu - Jiuzhaigou: Oct-18-09 (we want to come to Jiuzhaigou as short as we come to Chengdu)
3. Chengdu - Lijiang: Oct-23 or Oct-24-09
4. Lijiang - Nanning: ?

Is there any discount for a group? Are you working for travelling agent? I really appreciate your kindness ^_^

My yahoo messenger nick is machnhutien, nice to talk to you. Can I have your email with thanks?

Thanks so much,

Cheers,
Tien

Jun 26, 2009 11:56
  • WAHAHA111
You may check the price at www.mangocity.com.hk or mango.cc. but the price are in HKD/Yuan

btw, are you planning to take bus from Huanglong to Emeishan? As I could remember, the journey spent me almost the whole day....
Jul 10, 2009 06:42
  • ELLYSE
Sorry for the late reply, I had been ultra-busy with writing essays, packing and moving since end of June.
I'm pretty sure there're buses (or taxis if you miss the buses, for whatever reason) for Jiuzhaigou -- Huanglong. After Huanglong I would actually advise you to fly Jiuzhaigou -- Chengdu (the airport is actually closer to Huanglong than to Jiuzhaigou, IIRC) as the bus ride would waste 1 full day, there's no overnight option. From Chengdu you could easily get a bus to Emeishan, and you need at least 2 days for the mountain, doing it as a daytrip would be too rushed. Chengdu is worth at least a day or two.
Lijiang is wonderful, are you also doing Tiger Leaping Gorge? If so, I would give Lijiang and Tiger Leaping Gorge at least 4 days. Otherwise, I could easily spend anything onwards of 3 days in Lijiang alone, so it's up to you.
Group discounts for plane tickets are perhaps possible if you already have a group of 10, otherwise it's rather unlikely, sorry. :(
Please reply directly to my email at yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" and your own username (eg MACHNHUTIEN) in the subject line, thanks.
Post a Reply to: Trip preparations to China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code