Menu
cost of living in haikou
Feb 18, 2005 19:45
  • ESLTRAINERS
We're a 60+ English speaking couple planning to spend 6 mos in Haikou and are having trouble getting the following info:
1. Price of an economy car,gas and running expenses.
2. Availability of rental, 1 bedroom apartments in middle class, safe neighborhoods.
3. Genral food prices. We plan to do our own cooking and go to non-tourist restaurants.
4. Is public transportation, both inter- and intacity safe both day and night??
ANY AND ALL INFORMATION WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Feb 21, 2005 16:06
  • DEE0228
Dear Sir and Madam:

I'm trying to answer some of your questions, hope you can get some help.
1. A China-made car usually costs RMB 20,000-30,000. in most case, this kind of cars are small in size and very economical on fuel. The fuel price in Haikou is about RMB 5/L.
2. Are you going to teach in Haikou? If so, you'd better let your school arrange the accommodation for you. So far as I know, most foreign language school afford apartments for their teachers. if you will rent for yourselves, no more than RMB500 is enough for per month rental.
3.Food in China is quite inexpensive, you will have a great selection in any big supermarket where both quility and price can be assured. 4.The public transportation is OK. Comparing with other inland cities, Haikou is relatively a district with sparse inhabitation, for safety you should avoid walking alone at night.

I also would like to reccommend you a good website where you may find many useful information about teaching and living in China.http://www.freewebs.com/briggs_updates/

Dee:)
Post a Reply to: cost of living in haikou
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code