Menu
China drafts sex change surgery guidelines
Jun 16, 2009 22:52
  • PANADA
On Tuesday, the Ministry of Health of PRC (MOH) released a notice on its website that China is to draft its first clinical guideline on sex change surgery. MOH is soliciting public opinions on the issue.

Though at present, only nearly 2000 Chinese have undergone sex change surgery, it is estimated that100,000 to 400,000 Chinese are considering undergoing the surgery.

The draft sets minimum criteria for both prospective receivers of sex-change surgery and medical
Institutions: the prospective receivers must be must be older than 20 and single. Other additional requirements are also needed to be met.

The candidate must show a persistent desire for a sex change, to live for at least five consecutive years full-time in the new gender role, and to engage in mental therapy for at least one year.

Nevertheless, the government’s move is to show their concern for minority groups. Despite that China has been trying to be inclusive to the world, China remains a relatively conservative country. Even homosexuals are still not accepted and identified by the mainstream society, not to mention people who intend to undergone sex-change operation. The authority is soliciting public opinion on the drafted guideline. The opinions are quite varied. Do you think if it is needed to issue a guideline on sex-change surgery? Can you accept someone around you who undergo a sex-change operation? Will you identify with their practices?

(Liu Yifei, 25, reads a book titled Women's Charm and Wealth before undergoing a sex change operation in Shanghai's Changhai Hospital in this 2006 file photo.(File photo from Chinadaily)

Last edited by PANADA: Jun 16, 2009 22:54
Jun 17, 2009 17:30
  • GRIZ326
This is very sad commentary on the state of the world. If life is so bad that you must mutilate your body for some sort of vanity or a vain attempt to find joy, why not just end your life. I imagine in 10-15 years there will be an equivalent business opportunity to the "tattoo removal" services.
Jun 22, 2009 22:20
  • FRANKENSTEIN
Why are there some people who want to Change their sex identity? I am a man and I like being a man. I can't accept a close friend who changed her sex. I will keep a distance with him if he change her sex someday in the future.
Jul 5, 2009 22:18
  • SUNNYDREAM
Undergoing sex change surgery is an embodiment of the failure of self-recognition. Love being yourself is a way to make your life happy.
Post a Reply to: China drafts sex change surgery guidelines
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code