Menu
You Can't Get There From Here
Jun 18, 2009 18:10
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Okay, thanks to some well written emails, I have officially made up my mind to retire in China...well, partially retire anyway. Now for the problem part; I don't want to fly. Frankly I have too much junk (mostly acquisitions I wouldn't sell on a bet), so it looks like I must find an alternative. Does anyone know anything about travel by freighter? I've searched the net, but it's an endless circle of near hits and no real info. I want to get to Beijing ( or somewhere close ) from Florida or Houston, Texas. Thanks
Jun 19, 2009 00:18
  • DODGER
Jim, have you checked out OOCL? They have an office in Houston and do have an LCL service (less than container load)
They did have cabins available a few years ago. I have no idea if they still do this.
Cheers, Dodger.
Jun 19, 2009 00:31
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Many thanks DODGER. I have their contact info.
Jun 19, 2009 10:44
  • JABAROOTOO
Can I ask what you are going to do for a visa??????
Jun 19, 2009 15:27
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
I'll get my visa before I leave.
Jun 20, 2009 03:54
  • JABAROOTOO
My question was what kind of visa do you expect to be living on once you have retired in China.

You have a choice of

Z Working
L Tourist
X student
F Business
Jun 20, 2009 17:27
  • JIM_BRANTLEY
Oh, that question. :) I am working towards a Z Visa but will settle for an F Visa if need be. Getting an invitation letter shouldn't be too difficult. Any suggestions would be appreciated though. Thanks for the excellent question JABAROOTOO.
Jun 24, 2009 22:34
GUEST50148 Mer. Jim Brean It seems we are looking into the same mirrors except for the boat trip, as I too want to end up in China to live the good life. (sorry that I cannot add anythingto help you) thus here to am I looking for information I will very soon appliyi for my visa here in america to come and live in China. I have been to CHina three times and I fell in love with the people and the country. This time, beforee I settle down I want and need informaition Thus:
From America I will fly to Beijing stay a week and then book train transportation from Beijing down a coastal route to the bottom of Vietrnam. CAN ANYONE TELL ME A GOOD ROUTE. iI do not want to go crash-anging down from Beigjing to Vietnam. I want to make periodic stops , maybe 4-5--6= or 7 down the coastral way and maybe have it encompass 3 ,4 , may 5 .6 weks so I can stop and see the cities and the country life.. Can anyone help me to understand the train ticket proceedure. Can I arerange for all tickets at one trime or go as far as I want , stay over, and then continu .??? I What is the differens in the selection of accomdations on tthe train? Any help would be greatly appreciated and also any information on Vieteanm would be greatly devouered and trhaks for a wonderful forum and good luck Jim. ian
Post a Reply to: You Can't Get There From Here
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code