Menu
?'s about taking my american son to china
Jun 27, 2009 12:52
  • DANDAN7272
Hello, i am planning a trip to china in august. My husand is a chinese citizen and we met while he was doing an internship in america, we married about 3 months after we met, then after we were married for 7 months i got pregnant. I never believed in love at first sight until i met my husand. anyways i went to china to meet his family while i was 3 months preg, we stayed there for 2 months, then came back to america to have our son. now we are planning to go back to china for 2 months so my husbands family can see our son. My mother is very concerned because she read that my son is automatically a chinese citizen since he is half chinese, even tho he was born in america. Can anyone tell me what the risks are of taking my son over there for a vacation? My son was born in america so he is an american citizen, but my mother keeps telling me that if something happens or my husand and i fight or anything, then my husbands family can keep my son there because my husbands dad work for the gov't. My mother keeps telling me that if they decide they want to keep my son then there is nothing i can do about it. If anyone has any advice or facts or any websites i could look at thtat would be great. Thank you!!!!!!

Danielle
Jun 27, 2009 12:54
  • DANDAN7272
also i wanted to add, that my family is not worried about my husband keeping my son there, but they are concerned about my husbands parents keeping my son there, because in chinese culture i guess you listen to your parents no matter what......
Jun 27, 2009 20:08
  • VICTORMAI
I think it this worry is nonsense. Because it is your and your husband's son, they can't keep your son if you don't want to.
Jun 27, 2009 23:02
  • DODGER
Dandan, your son was born in the US and will be traveling on a US passport. There is no way that he would be considered a Chinese citizen.
Relax and enjoy the trip.
Dodger.
Jun 28, 2009 00:16
GUEST15114 It looks like the American govt propoganda machine is working. The Chinese steal babies, don't you know.
Jun 28, 2009 03:21
  • JABAROOTOO
Yes Relax and have a few more sons.

That will make you very popular and there is no way that your American born children can be taken from you.
Jun 28, 2009 03:30
  • DODGER
Guest, Dandan’s Mother’s concerns may have been fueled by stories of wife’s returning to their husbands countries were there have been cases of children not being allowed to leave. So her anxiety is perfectly understandable; to me anyway.
Dodger
Jun 28, 2009 14:28
  • DANDAN7272
Hey Dodger, thats exactly why my mother is concerned, especially since a lot of the websites my mother is looking at says this

The ins and outs of Chinese citizenship is outlined in China’s Nationality Law, adopted by the National People’s Congress on September 10, 1980. The Law includes 18 Articles that broadly explain China’s citizenship policies including:
* China is a unitary multinational state: All nationalities (ethnic minorities) that exist within China have Chinese citizenship. (Article 2)

* China does not allow dual citizenship (Article 3)

* A person born in China to at least one parent who is a Chinese national is a Chinese citizen. (Article 4)

* A person born outside of China to at least one parent who is a Chinese national is a Chinese citizen -- unless one parent has settled outside of China and has acquired foreign nationality status. (Article 5)

the last one is the one that pertains to us. My son was born in america, and his father is a chinese citizen, he has his green card but he does not ever intend to get citizenship. Also my mother knows how much my husband hates america, so that adds to all of the concerns. i just want to know if its even possible for them to keep my son or not..... :( also our marriage has been kinda rough lately,,,, i think he just misses china, but weve been fighting quite a bit.,...
Jun 28, 2009 22:30
  • DODGER
Danielle, I’m not sure about article 4) A friend of mine’s wife (Chinese) recently had a baby. He had the birth registered at the UK consulate and had a passport issued in a couple of day. The child does not exist in the Chinese system.
Chinese who have taken out citizenship of another county are advised (Australia, UK) that if they travel back to China, not to use any of their Chinese documentation.
I suggest that you contact the relevant government department in the US for their view on this matter. Your trip can be registered with them.
I do remember a case some years ago when an Australian woman who married a man from Malaysia had her two children abducted by her husband and illegally taken back to his country.
He was a Prince, so was well connected. No amount of government intervention on her behalf succeeded. It took her some 15 years to finally see both children again. A sad story.
So I understand your concerns. It is better to be safe than sorry latter.
Dodger.
Aug 25, 2009 20:48
  • VICKY_WONG
I'm a native Shenyang person. Also my brother married with a foreign girl. But the things worried by you and your mother never happen in my family.
Your son belongs to you and your husband only. Other people can help to look after him if necessary, but they've no right to keep him there or restrict him. So don't worry. Most Chinese are rational and obey the laws.
Best wishes to you. If you want to travel in any city of China or there is anything I can help in travel, please contact with me.

E-mail: sina.com|tealwong
QQ number: 408651073
Last edited by VICKY_WONG: Aug 25, 2009 20:50
Post a Reply to: ?'s about taking my american son to china
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code