Menu
I need advise with my destinations...
Jul 1, 2009 07:00
  • CROL
Hello! I have some doubts with my trip to China…
We were 2 years ago and we loved it, and we are going back this summer.
Last time we visited: Beijing-(flight)-Jiuzhaigou-(flight)-Kunming-(bus)-ShangriLa--(bus) Baishuitai--(bus) Tiger Leaping Gorge-(bus) - Lijiang-(bus) -Dali--(bus) Kunming-(flight)-Guillin-(bus) Longshen--(bus) Yangshuo-(boat)Guillin-(flight)-Beijing in 21 days.
As you can see we prefer nature to cities, and we specially enjoyed places with less tourists where you can feel you are “living” the country.
This year we don’t really know what to see…
We are flying to Shanghai, we just want to stay one day there, as we don’t like cities so much. Then, we were thinking on going to Huangshan or Zhangjiajie (Which one is better?). We also want to visit Urumqi (Tianchi lake, sleeping in a Yurta, Turpan…) and we would love to visit Tibet, but it seems very difficult to get train tickets, and by plane + permit+ guide it’s very expensive… (isn’t it possible to travel without guide?)
What do you think about our trip? Do you miss any place? (We don’t want to go to Xian)
I'm also a bit worried about the temperature, I would prefer places not too hot nor humid...
Thanks a lot for you help!
Jul 1, 2009 10:21
  • ELLYSE
When exactly in summer would you be coming, and for how many days? Are you flying in and out of Shanghai?
I think you mean Xinjiang province, not just Urumqi. I could spend 2+ weeks in Xinjiang province and still have not enough time. It would be hot and dry, but what else could you expect from a province that's mainly desert? If you don't mind the heat, Xinjiang province would be an excellent choice if you have enough time to spare.
Just curious, why not Xi'an?
Jul 2, 2009 01:52
  • CROL
Thanks for your answer!! I know you are very busy…
We are going from the 25th July to the 15th August, Flying to Shanghai and then back from Beijing.
We want to visit Xinjiang, but not only… We also want to see green places (mountains, rivers…) ;-)
I prefer dry heat to humid heat, but is it bearable in Xinjiang?
What do you recommend to visit in Xinjiang?
And about Xi’an… Just because we prefer to be lost in the nature with local people, than queuing to see warriors, or monuments…
Thanks again!
Jul 2, 2009 08:57
  • ELLYSE
I think it should be fine in Xinjiang province for you. Yes, it also has "green" scenery so it will serve your requirements quite well, don't worry. :)
Do your days have to include sightseeing in Beijing and Shanghai as well? You're ok to fly round-trip to Xinjiang province, I hope?
Jul 2, 2009 09:29
  • JABAROOTOO
Xinjiang is a dry heat. I was there in Summer of 2005 and although very hot is is bearable and cools down at night. Lost a great places besides Urumqi and Turpan. Get up to the lakeas and Kashgar.

For somewhere green you could visit Guizhou beginning in Guiyang and heading over to Zhangjiajie which is a little less Famous than Huangshan. Two weeks plus in Xinjiang and the rest in Guizhou/ Hunan would be a good mix.

Read the review on these areas and google. you'll find a lot of useful information if you are persistent.
Jul 2, 2009 10:00
  • ELLYSE
For the green, and less moving around (at least not all the way from northwest to southwest!) I would pick to go to Hanas Lake, Karakul Lake etc.
Jul 3, 2009 06:09
GUEST72157
Thanks both of you! Really, you have helped me a lot!
I think I will do Zhangjiajie and maybe a bit of Guizhou (I have to study the connections) and then the rest Xianjiang Province: Hanas Lake, Karakul Lake... is it worth also Tianchi lake, or too touristic?
I guess I must give up Tibet again, too expensive...
Thanks again!!
Jul 3, 2009 11:29
  • CROL
Thanks to both of you!!! You have really helped me a lot!! I will probably do a bit of Guizhou and Zhangjiajie, and then the lakes in Xinjiang. Which is the best way to get to Karakul? it's really far!! How is Tianchi, too touristic?
Thanks again!!!
Jul 3, 2009 13:52
  • ELLYSE
I would NOT advise doing Guizhou, Zhangjiajie and then bits and pieces of Xinjiang. Too much travelling around, for goodness sakes please look on a map.
Tian Chi was much more touristy than Karakul. If you go to the latter I think there's no need to go to Tianchi.
Jul 4, 2009 13:42
  • CROL
Thank you for you concerning Ellyse... but I've already looked on a map...
One week or more for 655 km I think is not bad, and then nearly 2 weeks for Xinjiang... we'll see what we can.
Two years ago we did Kunming-Shangri-la and back through many places in a week.
But thanks for your advise!
Jul 8, 2009 02:14
  • ELLYSE
Look, it's not just about the distance. You also have to consider the road conditions and the transport available.
I suppose you're perhaps the kind of traveller who doesn't spend much time in each place?!
Post a Reply to: I need advise with my destinations...
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code