Menu
What happened to Shanghais Nightlife?
Feb 20, 2005 23:22
  • ELCABRON
Hi to all of you!

I spent last (Western) New Year in Shanghai. I like those small little clubs like the Buddha Bar or Judys Too on Maoming Lu very much. Good music and the crowd gets wild.
After a nice champagne shower at midnight we also wanted to try Faces for the new year of 2005, there is supposed to be nice atmosphere, too. We went through Ruijin-Er-Lu maybe three times by car (freezing cold around New Year) but the place where it was supposed to be was pulled down. There was no Ruijin-Er-Lu No. 118 anymore, instead there was plane ground with a wooden fence around it. Is this correct or were we just blind like moles??? Wrong address?
Any help?
Where are your favourite places? I did not try Xintiandi, what about that?
Feb 22, 2005 03:21
  • ELCABRON
20 million people in Shanghai - but not one single soul from this city on this board?
Feb 22, 2005 08:34
  • MERMAID
our friend damaque may help u.be patient!
Feb 22, 2005 13:42
  • DAMAQUE
hi friend,
So sorry to delay the feedback to you.
I like the small clubs in Shanghai also. There are some main districts which are crowded with clubs, Jin An Temple, Mao ming Road as you said, Heng Shan Road as we all know, Gu Bei District and so on.
Another worthy place is Xin Tian Di, it becomes the most fashionable and modern art center. Many foreigners love the architecture style of Xin Tian Di, which reflects the Old Shanghai's Image and taste.
Mao ming Road, you mentioned, is the first choice to foreigners living in Shanghai, we can find half of people with blue eyes, big nose as you, :-). Manhatton, Blues and Jazz, Judy' 2, Old Shanghai......
I love Blues&Jazz, a club belongs to a well-known MC, Lin Dong Pu.
Xin Tian Di is the hottest place in Shanghai now, is an urban tourist attraction imbued with the city's historical and cultural legacies. Shanghai Xintiandi's Shikumen attraction was created by converting residential blocks into a multifunctional dining, retail and entertainment center flowing with restaurants, boutiques, cafes and bars of an international standard.

The Shikumen buildings within Shanghai Xintiandi retain the antique walls, tiles and exterior of the Shikumen housing of old Shanghai, while the internal spaces have been designed and decorated to suit the up tempo lifestyle of the 21st century urbanites, with infinite details that exude the casual elegance of modern city living. Shanghai Xintiandi is where "yesterday meets tomorrow in Shanghai today."

Hope you will like my comment.
Take care
Damaque
Feb 22, 2005 13:57
hi, da ma que, u r here at last!
Feb 22, 2005 16:50
  • ELCABRON
Thanks a lot Damaque, your information is a big help for next time.
Thanks!!!

What do the others think?
What about Faces?
Feb 25, 2005 06:29
  • ELCABRON
Ni hao ma, Shanghai?
Feb 25, 2005 13:54
  • YQ43
xin tian di is nice, but it's OUT...
try the New Height Bar in 3 on the bund. at least you should take a look at them if you want to keep up with the city.
Feb 25, 2005 17:50
  • DAMAQUE
Bund.3 is in Luxury Style, combining a little bit Chinese and western things together.
Feb 26, 2005 03:43
  • ELCABRON
Thanks a lot!
Mar 11, 2005 10:21
  • COLLINS
Hi, Elcabron,
The Face Bar is at No. 118, Ruijin Er Lu, which is the location of Ruijin Hotel(or Ruijin Guesthouse, did you see this hotel?). The Face Bar is in building No. 4, inside the hotel. Face is a very famous bar in Shanghai and loved by those who like its special wild atmosphere.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What happened to Shanghais Nightlife?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code