Menu
kitesurf xiamen
Jul 8, 2009 07:49
  • SUPERCHAUEN
Hey,im from spain and i was wondering if anybody knows if it's possible to kitesurf in xiamen and if the conditions are good and where are the best spots for kiteboarding/living there.

Im thinking about moving there in a few months but at the moment i dont have any job offers. I was thinking about teaching spanish ...How's the demand of spanish teachers there? In fact im an electrical-electronics engineer but i guess it must be more difficult to get an engineering job in a chinese company than teaching spanish, aslo my chinese is really really poor.

Any information will be apreciated.

Cheers.
Jul 10, 2009 07:31
  • JABAROOTOO
happy sailing,

I'm a sailor and enjoy sail boarding which you can do in Xiamen. You can most likely kite sail as well as there are beaches and several huge bays although hey are tidal and you may need to know the banks and channels. Look for the locals when you arrive and hang out with them.

Assuming that you will bring all your own gear with you as you are not likely to find much here. I've never seen a glass board, only plastics and most of the equipment is average or geared for beginners and I've seldom seen a harness or lines.

Qingdao probably has more to offer. I was in Hainan recently and while I found a harness etc the board was a bit of a 'tank' and not enough wind to really get any speed up. I never went out just watched a few beginners drifting about. But it's something I miss and don;t get much of chance to do even when I go home these days.
Last edited by JABAROOTOO: Jul 10, 2009 07:34
Jul 10, 2009 07:33
  • JABAROOTOO
PS you could also sail off some of the beaches but you'll need to check things out for underwater obstacles first but at least on the b each you'll get unobstructed wind compared to in the bays.

Get to know the locals. You may be able to introduce the sport to some of them.
Aug 3, 2009 06:11
GUEST21357 You will find quite perfect kitesurfing conditions in Xiamen. I just did it yesterday. Although waves might be choppy sometimes and tidal is extremely (up to 5 meters and more), wind is fine almost all the time. Try Zhengcuoan Beach where a kitesurfing club is and avoid afternoon and evening when the beach is crowded with beachgoers. Watch out for rocks when the tidal is low. Kitesurfing can be done here all year round, just remember to bring your neoprene in winter.

Qingdao (norther part of China) is probably more famous, but water is dirty and quite heavy polluted and the beach is much to narrow and also too crowded. Thus, you hardly will find sufficient space to raise the kite without bringing others into danger.

To teach Italian is in more demand at the moment. But of course, there is certainly a market for spanish teaching, since the Latino-community is very limited here.

Aug 13, 2012 23:59
GUEST63218 Hey guys,

I'm planning to go for a kistesurfing weekend end of September with a group a friends.
No real doubt on the weather conditions after all my readings, but I'm looking for a nice place to stay except the Gulf Hotel. I'm looking for charming guest house on the beach or very nearby, would you have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,

Pierre
Post a Reply to: kitesurf xiamen
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code