Menu
advice for one week in china, and eclipse
Jul 15, 2009 06:50
guest16176 Hi,

I am going to china to see the eclipse, but havent figured out what im doing other that that. I will arrive in and depart from Shanghai, and was thinking to maybe go to Wuhan and Chongqing, but now Im thinking that maybe Chongqing is too far.

So here are a few questions:

Is any one else planning on seeing the eclipse? Since I am flexible for dates I thought I would decide a couple days beforehand based on the weather, but now Im not sure if thats a good idea.

What are some ideas for travelling for a week within Shanghai? Also, Ive been to the city before, so Ive already seen a fair number of the main tourist attractions already.

Are there good night trains or buses that are available? Are they comfortable? I think it would be a good use of time to travel between destinations in the night, but I have had some bad experiences with night buses.

Thanks!

John
Jul 15, 2009 09:09
GUEST72201 a correction; i meant to write "around Shanghai" not within Shanghai,

a couple other questions;

does anyone know of a place in Shanghai where I could buy a solar filter for my camera?

for the night buses or trains, I am particularly wondering abuot the course between Shanghai Nanjing Wuhan and Chongqing...otherwise, for regular transporation, what would be the best means of travelling between them.

I would be interested in a boat cruise for a couple days on the Yangtze, but all I find are longer ones online. I have also rad mmany bad things. What are peoples opinion? Are interesting short cruises available? Maybe even a half day only.

Thanks,
John
Jul 16, 2009 04:30
  • ELLYSE
What are your sightseeing interests and preferences, and what have you already seen before?
Night trains? How far do you intend to go? There're a number of destinations around Shanghai which would not need overnight travel to get to, but I have no idea of your answers to my first couple of questions. Don't bother with most sleeper buses. Overnight trains are generally fine if you get a sleeper and go for a T/Z/D train.
Shanghai -- Nanjing is only 2.5 hours by D train, you wouldn't need to go overnight. Shanghai -- Wuhan can be about 6 hours by D train (same D train for Nanjing -- Wuhan is about 4 hours), or overnight (9.5 hours) by Z train. For Chongqing please fly.
"A couple of days"? I think the fastest cruise is about 3 days, unless you mean the hydrofoil which's meant for transport and not really sightseing. I really don't think the 3 Gorges cruise is worth your time and money. If you want my full review and candid photos, please email to yahoo.com|ellyse99 and put "TravelChinaGuide" in the subject line, thanks.
Jul 23, 2009 02:43
GUEST75161 As ELLYSE has told you the detail of transportation, I'd like to give you some other advises. Have you been Nanjing Suzhou Hangzhou which is not far from Shanghai before? There are also a couple of views which will save your time. I have lived in Shanghai for 1 year and have my degree in Nangjing. I've been many city around Shanghai. If you want the detail of these city, please email to 163.com|wb0-9-8. I am very glad to show you the beauty of the city.
Post a Reply to: advice for one week in china, and eclipse
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code