Menu
Going in August and have many questions?
Apr 9, 2004 15:11
  • SNOWWIN
I just booked a Yangtze River tour with Ritz Tours-3 days Beijing, 4 days cruising with Vicotia Cruise LInes and 1 day Shanghai for US$999 from Los Angeles--just couldnt resist.
We leave Aug 22. What should I expect weatherwise? What is dress code for sightseeing (shorts ok?) and dinner in town and on the boat?
what about tipping practices? Is there a departure tax? Where to best change money? Cash or ATM or credit card best? We have free nites for dinner and would like recommendations for good restaurants near our hotels--New Otani in Beijing, Holiday Inn Riverside inWuhan, and Regal East Asia Hotel in SHanghai. What is best way to get around - taxi? We know nothing about China and want this to be a memorable trip and not offend anyone. All suggestions welcome!

Apr 9, 2004 15:13
  • KAREN
would rather not try and answer all your questions since some are a matter of taste and budget. But here's a few things that may be helpful:

1)Expect hot weather everywhere and humid on the river and in the south. Shorts are acceptable to the same degree as in America, meaning everywhere except at nice restaurants (but no one will ever say anything). Tipping is always said to be "not mandatory" but in fact it is expected for tour guides. Budget $5.00 per day in tips per traveler. This money usually goes to the "national guide" and some extra money is often given to the "local guides." this may sound excessive but this is the only way many of them make enough money to live on and I know from long observation that being a guide is a brutal job. I usually also give 5 yuan (60 cents US) to any baggage handler that handles my bags. All airports in China have departure taxes for both domestic and international flights. Domestic tax, last time I went, was 50 yuan, and international departure tax was 90 yuan. Maybe it's gone up lately, but that's about right. Change money at your hotel or at banks. The rate is the same everywhere by law and you will pay the same very small commission in each place. Travelers checks are better than cash. You get less money for exchanging cash than you do for credit cards because of the handling costs. Credit cards are accepted at hotels and restaurants that specially cater to foreigners but are often not taken at other places. For restaurant recommendations ask your concierge. In Beijing, ask for a Beijing Duck Restaurant. In Shanghai, ask for Hsiao Lung Baozi (dumplings) a local specialty. Have a good time. Andy F.

Post a Reply to: Going in August and have many questions?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code