Menu
China Bus Trip
Jul 28, 2009 22:35
  • JOE2009
Hi- I am planning a trip to Meizhou from Hong Kong via a bus and I have some questions. Well a lot but here is the first one. When traveling on a bus in China with one bag (carry on size) can you take that bag with you inside the bus or are you required to stow it in the luggage compartment. Also how is the security on the bus. Is it safe to leave a bag on the bus when at a rest stop or is it better to carry it with you during a rest stop? Thanks for your help.
Jul 29, 2009 00:18
  • VICTORMAI
Better to take it along with you, so long as it is not too heavy
Jul 29, 2009 01:30
  • MACROIDEAL
Yea. You should take your luggage with you closely. pickpocket. cautions...especially on long-journey bus....
Jul 29, 2009 14:05
  • JOE2009
Thanks for the info. This helps. One more question. In terms of the border crossing into the mainland from Hong Kong, is the customs process relatively smooth? Is this just basically stamping your passport or do they check your bags? Thanks for the tips.
Aug 5, 2009 05:23
GUEST17126 Customs between mainland China and Hong Kong is what I would call normal. You need to fill in an arrival card and they check your passport extensively for your visa etc. There is customs control separately (next counter) where you have to present your bags, though they didn't search ours. You also have a health declaration to fill in.
Aug 8, 2009 09:55
  • JABAROOTOO
Bus travel in China varies a lot. Depending on where you are traveling. Between major centres, the 'Coaches' are of a relatively high standard and depending on the size of your bag and the leg room inside it is safe to stow your luggage under the bus. The compartments are then locked and when you stop for rests it will remain locked.

I've never had any issues with safely on buses. However I am more careful in rural areas and around bus stations where there are lots of people loitering. I usually keep an eye on things and on arrival I move as quickly as is possible to watch the luggage unloaded.

No need to worry unduely
Post a Reply to: China Bus Trip
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code