Menu
mobile phone in China
Aug 2, 2009 10:05
guest17228 Hi!

I'm a UK resident planning to go on a tour of China (which will include cities as well as some more remote areas). Although it's a group tour, there will be times where we go off on our own, so I'd like to have a mobile phone so I can call the group leader etc. if I get lost or find myself in some other tricky situation!

Can anyone advise me how/where I can get a mobile phone before I leave the UK, that will work in China and hopefully not charge the sky-high rates associated with using a UK phone in a foreign country?

Thanks in advance!
Aug 2, 2009 20:24
  • VICTORMAI
You mean to buy a SIM card for your mobile phone? Take it easy, you can buy it after you arrive China, it's easy to buy.
Aug 3, 2009 02:47
GUEST63427 For a tourist, where can you buy a mobile phone in shanghai? Just for use for two weeks.
Aug 3, 2009 08:59
  • WAHAHA111
I think you'd better buy a SIM card upon arrival. Maybe you can ask the tour guide to help you.
Aug 4, 2009 03:57
GUEST63427 Does China Mobile sell prepaid sim cards and also phones renting?
Aug 4, 2009 04:32
  • ANDY2008
pleaseļ¼Œjust use your own GSM cell-phone and change the SIM (a China Mobile SIM)when you are in China.
Aug 4, 2009 07:11
GUEST06153 for anyone who wants to use his(her) own mobile phone cell phone etc, please make sure the phone is SIM-FREE (unlocked). Sim card is easy to buy in China everywhere. (prepay type). try to not use ur own sim card there - too much money for a call. mine will cost 1.99 EURO per min over there. a local sim card will do the same job for 1/10 of the price. but they may ask for your name etc to register the sim, IMO, better give them a whatever name except your own. some sim cards will take a monthly charge although its prepaid. so if u use your own passport and your own name. your sim card will still taking the money. its totally unfair but there s nothing u can do. give them any name and dont show them your passport, dump the card before you fly home - thats it.
Aug 4, 2009 13:49
GUEST63427 Do I need to unlock my GSM phone first? Also, what is the bandwidth used by china Mobile in Shanghai, 900 mHz or some other?
Post a Reply to: mobile phone in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code