Menu
Dashan, Mark Rowswell, the most famous foreigner in China
Aug 9, 2009 01:57
  • LEONARDO
Who is the most famous foreigner in China? If you ask an ordinary Chinese about this question, most of Chinese will answer: “it is Dashan (Big Mountain)”, a Canadian expat in China, who is so fluent in Chinese Mandrine that his accent is as unmistakable as to native speakers. As an expat, Dashan is so good at speaking Chinese. His language abilities and deep understanding of Chinese culture has helped him create a mulit-faceted career in China. Dashan first made his name by performing crosstalk “Xiangsheng 相声 in Chinese mandarin”. In the recent years, he became better known as freelance TV host for CCTV International. He hosted numerous education programs such as “Sports Chinese” and “Travel in Chinese” on CCTV9.

Dashan has gained numouros titles (fames) for himself. In 2004, he was selected as one of the “Ten Most Outstanding of Beijing”. It was the first time that a foreigner has received this award, one of the highest honors granted by the Beijing authorities. The People’s Daily newspaper commented on his award that “Dashan is a foreigner, but not an outsider”.

Personally, I liked watching CCTV9 and Dashan’s program. I adored his language abilities and his deep understanding of a different culture. Dashan is well-known among Chinese. Dashan is perhaps the most famous foreigner in China. How about his popularity in the West? Is he relatively unknown in the West? How many foreign expats in China know Dashan?

Last edited by LEONARDO: Aug 9, 2009 01:59
Aug 9, 2009 16:05
  • DAVEC
I watch him on CCTV9 although the programmes are more advanced than my Chinese language abilities. He is good and the acting so bad.
Aug 9, 2009 18:23
  • COOLSPRINGS
He speaks Mandarine much better than the majority of Chinese. I don't think he is well-known in his homeland even in his neighborhoods where he used to live, a small town in the north of Toronto, Canada. He is really successful in business in China by way of his born talents in everything regarding China.
Aug 9, 2009 23:07
GUESTBRADWILL He is luckier than many of other western folks. I know two guys from LA of USA who speak Chinese as fluently as Dashan. They just have no luck.
Aug 10, 2009 21:14
  • JIMMYB
Does Dashan have some inborn talent in learning foreign language? I am wondering when he began learning Chinese. How many years it takes for him to become fluent in speaking Chinese? I learnt English for about a decade but can't speak so fluently as native speakcers. I wish I would have had his talents in learning foreign language.
Aug 10, 2009 23:12
GUEST80230 He married a Chinese woman.
Aug 11, 2009 19:27
  • MARRIE
Before he married to his Chinese wife, he can speak Chinese perfectly. Luck weighs much. And the town he used to live has alot Chinese too, which could be one of the reasons that he started to have connection with China.
Aug 11, 2009 20:34
  • FAERYGIRL
He has a deep understanding of Chinese culture. Therefore, his marriage with a Chinese girl doesn't have problem as other western guys who could speak Chinese only in spurts. He is a handsome western guy. ^_^
Aug 12, 2009 22:17
  • SUNNYDREAM
He is a humorous and knowledgeable Canadian guy. His program" Travel in Chinese" is helpful to foreign travellers who are planning their trips for China.
Post a Reply to: Dashan, Mark Rowswell, the most famous foreigner in China
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code