Menu
Forbidden City kicks out Starbucks, but sells Chinese noodle CNY 30 per bowl
Aug 12, 2009 03:12
  • SHEPHERD
Two years ago, when starbucks opened a store in the Forbidden City, it was banished for the reason that “Starbucks' presence "undermined the Forbidden City's solemnity and trampled over Chinese culture". Now, Forbidden City itselft opened a Chinese restaurant on August 8 and sold the Chinese noodle at CNY 30 per bowl. The administration claimed that the price takes culture and cost factors into consideration. Is a bowl of noodle CNY 38? Does the price contain culture factor just because it is Chinese food? Would this also trample over “culture”?

Aug 12, 2009 07:01
  • CARLOS
My wife says in Hon Kong and Shenzhen a cup of noodles cost about the same, so no big deal, I think.

The price goes down only if people don´t buy.

Carlos
Aug 12, 2009 10:49
  • DODGER
I personally think that Starbucks was completely inappropriate in the Forbidden City.
Would the French allow one at the top of the Eiffel Tower?
Dodger.
Aug 12, 2009 21:41
  • FLICKER
In tourist sites of China, the food and service is overpriced. That is normal. Starbucks represents middle/low-class taste. It is inappropriate in the historical and cultural site. I guess American people wouldn't like to see a Chinese food restaurant in the Lincoln' Memorial Hall either.
Aug 16, 2009 04:53
  • LEONARDO
As the past home to 24 emperors and currently a cultural attraction, it is reasonably justified that a western-style restaurant was banished from a cultural protection unit in China. In the Qing Dynasty, the emperors and their concubines didn’t drink Starbucks.
Dec 17, 2009 02:24
  • CHERRY07
Several months ago, this restaurant was open and started to sell Chinese noodles but it was closed for some reason. Some people said that thsi restaurant didn't get its business license. After getting its business license, this restaurant reopens now. And a bowl of noodles still costs 30 RMB. The owner said that the price wouldn't be lowered.

Perhaps the price is a bit high. Some people just went in for a visit and then went out, according to the news.
Dec 17, 2009 20:21
  • JIMMYB
Just like those people Cherry07 said, I will go to that restaurant just for a visit. Just want to figure out how this restaurant looks like.
Post a Reply to: Forbidden City kicks out Starbucks, but sells Chinese noodle CNY 30 per bowl
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code