Menu
Should gays and lesbians be allowed to donate blood?
Aug 26, 2009 23:13
  • LEONARDO

As China goes international and becomes a more open society, China has seen an increase of gay and lesbian population. Here I don’t have discrimination against gay people. The reason why I wanna talk about this issue with you guys is that China’s gay people are banned from donating blood according to the relevant laws enacted by the authority in 1998 and “Checkup Requirements of Blood Donors” stipulated in 2001 by the Ministry of Health. Last month, (about July 27), China’s gays and lesbians organized an online petition, asking the government to remove the bans and laws that bar gays and lesbians from donating flood.

Recently, Li Yinhe, a renowned sociologist in China, has also mentioned this issue (gay people’s right to donate blood) in her blog. She thinks that banning gay people from donating blood is a kind of discrimination against them. Homosexual remains sensitive in China. A majority of people (including the Chinese authority) usually associate gay people with HIV virus/AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases. People who are for the banning of gay people from giving blood hold that “It’s a practical law because the gay community has much higher rates of sexually transmitted diseases. We must take our precautions wisely.” Some petitioners of gay people insist: “I wanna donate my blood to save others’ lives and I have confidence in my blood. It’s safe”.

Blood donation is an undertaking for the public interest. The authority is well-grounded that the source of blood is safe, sound and healthy. Well, gay people are also concerned about their rights to make contribution to the society. Undeniably, gay people do face the societal stress in China. I know western countries are more open and tolerable to gay community. One or two states in USA ((Massachusetts) even allow the gay peoples to get married legally. Well, I am not sure if your countries allow gays and lesbians to donate blood. How about the situations in other countries? What do you think of this issue? Should gays and lesbians and be allowed to donate blood?

Aug 27, 2009 03:47
  • DODGER
I think some people deliberately confuse the issue of peoples “Rights” to push their own personal agenda.
The Gay lobby in the West has been very successful at this.
In some parts of the UK, it is easier for Gay couples to adopt children than a conventional couple. And I disagree with this strongly.
Many years ago I used to workout in a Sydney gym that’s clientele was about 90% gay.. That in its self didn’t bother me.
What I was made fully aware of was the high level of promiscuousness of most of them.. Many boasting of how partners they had had the previous night, most of it anonymously.
As far as I know, most of them are now dead.
Gays are not the only group that is not allowed to give blood in most western countries.
I’m not making a moral statement against Gays. There can as far as I’m concerned do what ever they want just as long as it doesn’t put me or my family at risk.
I would not knowingly let my chills except blood taken from a Gay man.
Would you?
Therefore in summary, a Right is not a Right if it is at the cost, monetarily or health wise to someone else.
Dodger.
Aug 30, 2009 01:46
  • JIMMYB
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEONARDO View Post

Recently, Li Yinhe, a renowned sociologist in China, has also mentioned this issue (gay people’s right to donate blood) in her blog. She thinks that banning gay people from donating blood is a kind of discrimination against them. Homosexual remains sensitive in China. A majority of people (including the Chinese authority) usually associate gay...

Leonardo, Lin Yinhe's viewpoints are always bold. Not long before, she submitted a bill of legitimation of homosexual marriage in China. She received the western education in the University of Pittsburgh in USA. She might have been brainwashed by the liberal western scholars. IMHO, it is acceptable to me that people can have the right to choose their sex orientation as they like. Two men can kiss and hug as they want. Nevertheless, I can’t accept that my blood is from a highly-infected HIV carrier when I need a blood transfusion. “Right” should not be abused by activists who think less of others’ benefits but think more of their own enjoyments.
Aug 30, 2009 04:55
GUEST7436 All Men Are Created Equal As Said In Declaration of Independence. Gay people shall enjoy the same right to donate blood as straight guys do. Whether the donors are straight men or gay people, the donated blood has to be checked prior to transfering to another man, gay or straight man.
Sep 1, 2009 15:22
  • SETH
GUEST7436 - RUBBISH, as Dodger might say. If society wishes to protect itself from the possible dangers of HIV-infected blood, then gays should live with it! Sorry, not interested and I would prefer not to receive blood donated by ANYONE with a high risk of transmitting potentially fatal diseases.

There is not RIGHT to have anyone's blood accepted within the medical community.
Sep 2, 2009 04:50
  • DODGER
Seth, you are absolutely correct, I would have said rubbish.
I believe in the concept of “Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.” However I just cannot buy the other so called “rights” many are trying to lump in with the above..
If your claimed “right” is at a cost to someone else, then broadly speaking it’s called slavery.
I might also add that along with my right to “eat, sleep and be merry” come obligations.
If I knowingly have a disease that if spread to others will cause them any harm, I have a personal obligation to make sure that I minimize that risk to them.. Example; would anyone care to share a seat on a train with a leper?
The screening of donated blood has been proved to be fallible. Ask the families and friends of the dead and the dieing who have contracted HIV through no fault of their own how they feel.
Leonardo, you have succeeded in winding me up.(again)
Dodger.
Sep 2, 2009 04:52
  • SHEPHERD
Right is a relative term. It is Right only when the majority of a community's "Right" is safeguarded. Otherwise, it is not 'Right". To ensure a minor group of people's right at the expense of a majority of people is by no means a rightful Right.
Sep 2, 2009 22:05
  • ICEBLUE
I would have a chill if my food is transfused from someone who has a high risk of transmit HIV virus. If they really want to make contribution to the society, then just don't calling for "their rights" to donate blood. If you can not help people, it is okay, please don't make trouble for a man who is in need of blood to save his life.
Sep 4, 2009 21:09
  • LARRYBOY
Well said Dodger LB
Sep 9, 2009 04:53
  • SHEPHERD
Don't blame me as "conservative" . Honestly, I feel uneasy when I viewed this scene. "The bride"and the groom are of the same gender. How would I feel I find my blood is from any one of them?

Sep 12, 2009 11:36
  • CARLOS
I strongly go here with Dodger and Seth.

Giving "rights" to someone is totally different question from giving blood to someone when there is even a tiny possibility the blood is deseased. I mean, how can we ever be sure? If I or my kids were given blood and told it is from a gay, I surely would say no. And like Dodger asked, who would say yes?

Carlos
Post a Reply to: Should gays and lesbians be allowed to donate blood?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code