Menu
China imposes zero-tolerance policy on DUI
Aug 27, 2009 02:15
  • ARAGORN
China is carrying out a crackdown campaign on driving under the influence of alcohol (DUI). From August 15th to 24th, 17,078 DUI cases have been dealt with during the crackdown. The zero-tolerance policy has generated positive results. In the 8 days (between August 15th and 22nd), only 32 were killed in the traffic accidents caused by “Driving under the Influence), an year-on-year decrease of 23.8%. China has many “roadway killers”, who are unqualified drivers obtaining their driving liscense through illegal and shady means. 1.3 billion Chinese, how many good drivers? Don’t drive under the influence of alcohol. Cherish your life, and cherish others’ lives!

(Alcohol level test)

Last edited by ARAGORN: Aug 27, 2009 02:18
Aug 27, 2009 20:09
  • LARRYBOY
What are the penalties in China for driving while intoxicated? I know what they are in the US. LB
Aug 28, 2009 07:03
  • BELLA_CN
As far as I know,the drunken driver's license will be suspended for 3 or 6 months, in serious cases, the driver would be detained for 15 days,with a fine of 2,000 yuan.
And if he is caught twice within a year, the license will be revoked for 2 to 5 years.

How about in US?
Aug 28, 2009 18:32
  • LARRYBOY
Very strict here 1st offense loss of license for 6 months must pay court fines and fees and insurance surcharges for 3 years. on top of that your car insurance will triple in price also for 3 years., 2nd offense Loss of license for 5 years and possible 3 year jail term depending how seroius. 3rd time loss of license for 10 years and all the insurance fees still apply. Laws vary from state to state but not by much. Hit and kill someone?? jail time for 8 to 10 years insurance fees surcharges and pay the family restitution for as long as it takes depending on the judge. Dont come here and drink and drive you will be sorry. I have been a witness to drunk driving car wrecks that happened before the emergency crew arrived. Horrible when small children are involved. Drunk driving in this country is taken very seriously here. The authorities will hit you in the wallet hard!! LB
Aug 29, 2009 05:35
  • BELLA_CN
Drunk driving should be severely punished.You have been a witness?That's really horrible,I can imagine...Whatever, don't ever try to drive after drink in any country.
But to be honest,I'd rather take the subway in Beijing than drive.You know,the traffic jam...
Aug 29, 2009 22:56
  • LARRYBOY
About 20 years ago I gave up going to clubs and bars. There is no future in continuous drinking at these establishments. The police here "sometimes" watch different clubs to see who goes in and what time they go out,just to pull them over after they left! and yes it is legal but by reason of a different offense. Some of the police spray a small white line on the unsuspecting drivers tire and wait down the road for the swirling effect on the tire. This way the police dont have to wait across the street from the establishment. This a random practice only. It is better to by your favorite beverage and drink it at home, and stay there. It depends how lucky one person is than the other. LB
Aug 30, 2009 01:57
  • JIMMYB
I applaude for this zero-tolerance policy on DUI culprits. During the past months, a dozen of fatal traffic accidents were caused by DUI. Hangzhou has witnessed two youths killed in the traffic accidents incurred by drunken dudes from the wealthy families.
Aug 31, 2009 03:43
  • DODGER
A couple of weeks ago four young students drove down from Baotou to spend the week studying under my Wife..
They made it down to Beijing OK but then decided to spend the evening exploring the night life as it was their first time here.
On their way back to our place they were involved in an accident. I thought at the time it was just another minor bingle that you see every day here.
Three of them are dead; the fourth is still in hospital.
Dodger.
Sep 3, 2009 04:12
GUEST1890 How does China punish the drivers without driving license? Is the punishment more severe than that on DUI?
Oct 11, 2010 22:05
GUEST29136 I think all countries should just adopt El Salvador's DUI laws.

First DUI penalty- Death by Firing squad.
Post a Reply to: China imposes zero-tolerance policy on DUI
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code