Menu
Your Tombstone
Aug 29, 2009 08:18
  • LARRYBOY
On a tombstone your name and the dates when you were born and died are written. Between the word "Born" and "Died" there is a little dash between the words. That dash signifies your life on earth. It tells nothing about you and your time, its just a small line but yet you made a big impact during your time. Here is the Question: Instead of the small dash line on your tombstone what few words would you write between "Born and Died" that described your life?

I have asked many people this question and have received some interesting answers!
Aug 29, 2009 13:27
  • MARRIE
Larry, Here is a song sang by my favorite singer from HK named the Red Sun. Attached is English lyrics, i think , can fill out the dash line. From my understanding, this song is not a narrowed love song but a LOVE song.

the Red Sun in Cantonese by Hacken Lee
-----------------------------
Even if the fate is of odds
Even if the fate is intimidating
Do not cry, do not turn sad and give up
Hold on to life that stands by you
The whole life goes around in circles sitting alone with anxiousness, helplessness
And hope of little magic.
How many tears fall in the rainy night in lifetime, but I have to walk rhyming with
Red sun burning and directing in the heart
Let the evening breeze blow gently with flower fragrance blessing you and me
Let the evening stars sparkle lightening the hope of life.
Jun 9, 2010 08:41
  • SOPHIAW
it sames as if we are born to be bond to die.we can do nothing when we realize that we are so lonly to live in this world.
i guess i would write this :i did everything from my heart,never wasted my time to regret.the end is i`m a good person deserve people`s love .
Jun 9, 2010 21:25
GUEST21131
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOPHIAW

i did everything from my heart,never wasted my time to regret.the end is i`m a good person deserve people`s love .

Great words, Sophiaw, you' ve said may words.

Jun 9, 2010 22:34
  • GLOOMYSUNDAY
' Here is the Question: Instead of the small dash line on your tombstone what few words would you write between "Born and Died" that described your life? '

Larry, great question. I never found any trace over there in my mind before. Now, let me think about it,,, it should not be my words, but words by my close ones. so, I ahve no idea. But, an upward arrowhead may be suitable, not the even dash.
Dec 3, 2010 06:52
  • ATTA_BUTT
Quote:

Originally Posted by SOPHIAW

it sames as if we are born to be bond to die.we can do nothing when we realize that we are so lonly to live in this world.
i guess i would write this :i did everything from my heart,never wasted my time to regret.the end is i`m a good person deserve people`s love .

It is a reality that, on a tombstone your name and the dates when you were born and died will be written, but every one who went from this world didn’t knew what will happens with them. It is not in our control when we were born and when we will die, but we have opportunity to beautify this world, by spacing for others, by giving some goods, and what we can for others. If we could!
Dec 3, 2010 22:40
  • MARRIE
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATTA_BUTT

but we have opportunity to beautify this world, by spacing for others, by giving some goods, and what we can for others. If we could!

Atta, If we could, We would.

Here is Ancient Chinese Tale - Peach Blossom Spring or the Legend of Shangri-La

During the Jin Dynasty's Taiyuan Period, there was a man from Wuling who made his living by fishing, he was travelling along a creek, with no sense of how far away he was from his original path. All of a sudden he found a peach blossom grove, and on both sides across the creek with a hundred-feet wide land, no other trees but peach ones grew, the luxuriant grass was fresh and sweet, and petals fell in riotous profusion, the fisherman thought that this was strange. Going on forward, he passed through the whole grove.

Upon reaching the end of the grove, he came upon another mountain. There was a small hole in the mountain, and there seemed to be a light coming from it. So he left his boat, and entered the hole. The opening was so narrow, only one person could squeeze through it. Continuing on for over tens-of-feet distance, he found the view instantly clearing up. The land was spacious, houses were set out in neat order, there were fields, beautiful pools, with mulberry, bamboo and the like. Everywhere was well-connected with crisscross footpaths between fields, while chicken and dogs could be faintly heard. All the farmers were plowing, sowing or weeding back and forth, the clothing of men or women was similar to the people outside. The people, old and young, felt happy and pleased with themselves.

Dec 3, 2010 22:42
  • MARRIE
Upon seeing the fisherman, they were terribly surprised, and asked where he came from. The fisherman answered their questions one by one. And then he was invited to visit their houses, feasting on their wine and chicken for dinner. As the news of the stranger in the village was told, all the villagers wanted to inquire about what had happened. The host told the stranger that his ancestors evaded the Qin Dynasty's social disorder amidst the turmoil of war, and brought their wives, children and good neighbors to this place, they never went out again, and were eventually separated from the human beings outside. While asking about which dynasty it was, the host did not know about the Han Dynasty, and knew even less about the Wei Dynasty or the Jin Dynasty. The fisherman told them what had taken place outside, and all of them sighed sadly. Besides the first household, the rest also invited him to visit their own houses respectively, entertaining him with foods and drinks. He had stayed cordially for several days, and then he departed. The local people living in the Utopia-like cave said to him: "Don't tell anything about us to anyone outside. "

He went out, got into his boat, paddled the boat along the waterway, making a mark everywhere. Arriving at Wuling County, the fisherman called on the magistrate, reporting what he had seen. At once the prefecture official sent men to detect the exact cave according to the marks made by the fisherman, but they got confused, and failed to find the exact way.

Liu Ziji from Nanyang Town, who was a respectable scholar, upon hearing about this, eagerly tried to seek the place. But he sought in vain, and died of illness in the end. Afterwards, nobody made inquires about it.
Dec 4, 2010 05:04
  • ATTA_BUTT
I saw movie and read this story,but I got confused, and failed to find the exact way. If there is an easy way for understanding please tell me theme, what is concept behind this story.
What I could understand ”after death nobody made inquires about it”. Is it?
Dec 17, 2010 18:29
  • FARAH
A good friend of mine on this forum spoke words of wisdom to me that when we wake the sun is in front of us and when we sleep the sun is behind us. All our days are but a breath. each day that passes us by , we are no longer in the middle of the dash but nearing the end. The sun is the same but we are not. We can not catch the sun or we would be immortal and never die. We are here only once and the dash is our lifes identity. Love as much as you can ,you will be able to take it with you at the end of your dash. The word "dash" is another word for "run". That line between your birth and death is the race track to the finish. How will you run your race in life between the 2 dates on your tombstone?
Dec 21, 2010 17:33
  • BOBERT
My favorite is Spike Milligans............" I told you I was sick! "
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Your Tombstone
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code