Menu
shadow puppets show
Feb 24, 2005 11:02
  • MERMAID
Anyone could give me some hint on shadow puppets show in Xi’an? I mean the folk one instead of the commercialized one for the tourists. And where can I hear the authentic Qin Opera besides on TV?
I know shadow puppets show in Lanzhou is famous, too but is there any such troupe? And where?
Feb 24, 2005 17:15
  • XIANWA
I got the info that there is a puppets troupe in Xi'an located in Yanta Road, very near to the digital products market! I guess most performances are for children!
Feb 25, 2005 12:12
  • MERMAID
History of Shadow Puppets
More 2,000 years ago, Concubine of Wu Emperor of Han Dynasty was dead due to illness and the Emperor missed her so much that he had no mood for his reign. A minister of his happened to see children playing dolls and the shadows on the floor were vivid. Thus an idea formed in his mind. He made puppets in the form of the concubine of cotton and painted it. As night fell, he invited the emperor to watch the puppet show behind a curtain with lights. The emperor was greatly delighted and took to it from the on. This story was recorded in the official history book and is regarded as the origin of shadow puppets.
Post a Reply to: shadow puppets show
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code