Menu
Crazy English: why Chinese are crazy about English?
Sep 2, 2009 04:31
  • SNOWYCATKIN
When you visit China, have you met some Chinese who want to practice their English? They are likely to ask you such questions: “where are you from? Can you speak English?” It’s a common way for Chinese people to begin a conversation with foreigners. There is a craze for learning English. Thereby, Chinese are trying to grasp every opportunity to practice their English by speaking to native English speakers. It is estimated that China will become the the largest English-speaking countries this year. Why are Chinese so crazy about English? Have you ever thought about it? In China, speaking English means a lot, which may indicate you are educated, have a high social status or even it is an important criterion for your boss to raise your salary. English-language-training is a profitable industry. Variouis English-training institutions are thriving around the whole country. One of the language-training giants is New Oriental English Schools. Crazy English, founded by Liyang, launched a crazy movement for learning English. As the English language training business is booming in the country, the language teachers are becoming celebs. How do you think about Chinese’s crazy movement for learning English? Do other countries’ people are so crazy about English as Chinese?

Sep 2, 2009 22:14
  • ICEBLUE
Why? Because English is an international language and China has been incorporated to the global village after the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. Few Chinese have the possibility to travel abroad. Therefore, don't be scared if you a Chinese approaches you to practise his oral English. ^_^ Yea, crazy English. I used to listen to the audio cassette version of Crazy English when I was in college.
Sep 3, 2009 12:39
  • GRIZ326
Myself and two shipmates were walking down Nanjing Boulevard in Shanghai in 1978 and had a throng of people following us to listen to us talk. We eventually asked an old man among them and he told us in perfect English that they were trying to learn a little English.

For better or worse, American English is the language of the world because it is the language of technology. The Chinese government and the people are smart enough to just say, "Okay, let's learn it." ...rather than put up the resistance to American English that is commonly found in Europe.

...and American English is a lot easier to learn to speak than Chinese. :)
Sep 3, 2009 14:15
  • DAVEC
'American English'?? as an Englishman I find that phrase really annoying, there is no such thing. It is either English or American.
After all, is there such a thing as American mandarin, or American Spanish?

I think people should learn either American or English, take your pick
Sep 9, 2009 09:46
  • YANGOLA
i am also crazy about Italian,french and german
Sep 9, 2009 22:51
  • SNOWYCATKIN
I like French too, but c'est tres difficile pour moi! ^_^
Post a Reply to: Crazy English: why Chinese are crazy about English?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code