Menu
Bank of China demand drafts - buy overseas, cash in China?
Sep 8, 2009 10:37
  • BOYFROMOZ
I plan to return to China for a holiday and have a Bank of China account previously opened in Beijing, to which I want to send RMB.

But it's not currently allowed to remit (汇款) RMB from overseas to an account held by a non-Chinese citizen (that is, me).
And remitting foreign currency is no good, since that can only be changed to RMB in the same province you opened the account, and I'm not visiting Beijing this time but going to Lijiang.

Would a demand draft (票汇) in RMB, drawn in Australia and payable to my Beijing account, be honoured by Bank of China in Yunnan?

An alternative is to open an account in Yunnan and get family back home to
remit me $A, which I could then change at the counter. Would I be able to change $A in Lijiang, or have to go to Kunming?

Would I be able to open the account in Lijiang in the first place (as a foreigner)?

I've tried calling BOC Yunnan, but can't get an operator.

if anyone can suggest a better way of funding my holiday, please shoot.
Travellers' cheques and ATM withdrawals on an Australian account are both pricey.
And I'd rather not bring wads of cash...
Sep 8, 2009 21:13
  • ZANDREW
The economical way for you is to open an account in Kunming or Lijiang and then ask your family to remit you $A, which you can change at the counter . As for the place you open your account , that depends on how long you will stay in Lijing and Kunming , if you stay longer in Lijing , you would better open an account there . Because the international transfer usually needs some days .But please remember , no matter where you open this account (Lijiang or Kunming ), you need to change $A to RMB firstly , and you may apply a card from the Bank , that will be more convenient for you to travel other cities of China. Anyway , wish you have a safe and nice trip in China !
Sep 9, 2009 10:34
  • SZCITY
hi,dear , i was just back from YUNNAN,LIJIANG,
It was nice traveling there

For your questions, i dont know how to help you, foreigner can remit USD/EUR to CHINESE personal A/C.
for my suggestion, u are better to have a/c in HK, it's easy for you.
Post a Reply to: Bank of China demand drafts - buy overseas, cash in China?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code