Menu
What I need to come to China to get married?
Sep 19, 2009 11:42
  • DAVEC
But dont you think trying to find a woman within the 6 months limiting?
Other wise you have to come back to UK and get your paperwork updated.

Can I ask how many times you have been to China and how many Chinese women you know?
Sep 19, 2009 11:50
  • CHOOCHOO
Never
nobody

If I get an English teaching job then I can stay longer right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC

But dont you think trying to find a woman within the 6 months limiting?
Other wise you have to come back to UK and get your paperwork updated.

Can I ask how many times you have been to China and how many Chinese women you know?
Sep 19, 2009 12:55
  • DAVEC
The reason I asked it that I have been there many times, prepare yourself for the culture shock on arrival. As for the women, I have many Chinese female friends, I ask their advice if I have difficulty with my gf, they can explain to me why she said or did something.

Do you have any qualifications for the teaching job? I understand its better and you will get more pay possibly?
How good is your Chinese language skills? going straight to a new country without it will be damn hard.
It has taken me 5 years to be able to get around,travel,hotels and food at a basic level. Not an easy language to learn.
Sep 20, 2009 01:31
  • CHOOCHOO
Well I did this in Thailand went ther efor 1 year I loved it
Can you explain some of the culture shock in China please?

I plan to do a CELTA course soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DAVEC View Post

The reason I asked it that I have been there many times, prepare yourself for the culture shock on arrival. As for the women, I have many Chinese female friends, I ask their advice if I have difficulty with my gf, they can explain to me why she said or did something.

Do you have any qualifications for the teaching job? I understand its bet...
Sep 21, 2009 11:13
  • DAVEC
There are way too many differences between UK and China, I suggest you go to China first, spend some time there, immerse yourself in the country and culture.
I think if you go to places like Hong Kong or Shanghai you can see modern China. Jump on a train and head into the middle of nowhere and see the real China.
I have stayed in 5 star hotels right down to hard floors in someones barn. Eaten in top restaurants as well as chomped on silk worms on sticks. I have travelled by plane, soft and hard sleeper trains, bikes,pedicabs and most of the time with suitcase and camera gear.
I have experienced travellers tummy, la duzi, the poops( however you want to phrase it) and gone running into the nearest toilet to be confronted by 2 sheets of loo paper and a hole in the floor. Of course the locals were sat opposite smiling and reading their newspapers.
Of course there is always the problem of creature comforts, go to the local supermarket to find essentials like bread, bacon and marmite and you will be bang out of luck.

If you think any of this sounds negative, you are wrong. The people on this site know I like China more than the UK. I will be moving there too in a few years. I knew what to expect before I went, yet I still stood with my mouth open more than once.
Sep 21, 2009 11:18
  • DAVEC
I forgot to ask, have you had your jabs yet?
minimum I was told was 3 x rabies @ £35 each, 3 x hep B plus blood test and possible booster @£30 each. you will have to check with your local surgery to see what the up to date lists are and it depends on which provinces you will go to. The hep B were ok but the rabies hurt a bit.
not sure if you can get jabs in China for any of these after the move
Sep 22, 2009 08:51
  • CHOOCHOO
Im OK for jabos 10 years

You still have not explained what culture shocks there are.
Sep 22, 2009 12:43
  • DAVEC
To be a bit blunt, if you dont know what to expect should you really jack everything in and go?
How much have you researched about your future home?
Sep 22, 2009 19:18
  • DODGER
Coping strategy for culture shock: Survival techniques
How can we cope with culture shock? Having some information about culture shock is a first important step. Attempting to distance ourselves from ethnocentric perspectives will help. Then, to successfully cope, make sure your attitudes mirror those suggested in green and red in the top half of the diagram. As you work through cultural socialization, follow the tips below on surviving situations where you are unfamiliar with verbal and non-verbal codes.

Symptoms of culture shock:
* Unwarranted criticism of the culture and people
* Heightened irritability
* Constant complaints about the climate
* Continual offering of excuses for staying indoors
* Utopian ideas concerning one's previous culture
* Continuous concern about the purity of water and food
* Fear of touching local people
* Refusal to learn the language
* Preoccupation about being robbed or cheated
* Pressing desire to talk with people who "really make sense."
* Preoccupation with returning home

Stages most people go through in adjusting to a new culture
1. Fun: The excitement and adventure of experiencing new people, things, and opportunities.
2. Flight: Disorientation brings the urge to avoid everything and everyone that is different.
3. Fight: The temptation to judge people and things that are different as bad or foolish.
4. Fit: Creative interaction with the new culture that includes a willingness to understand and embrace.

Coping tips:
Speak the foreign language as often as possible.
This will not only help you to improve your confidence and communication skills, it will also help you to orient yourself to a new cultural environment; a language consists of more than grammar and vocabulary.
Ask for help.
Create a wide support network as quickly as you can in your target culture. This can include expatriates like yourself as well as people of the local culture. Western Universities should also have counselors for this purpose: make use of this resource.
Focus on what you can control.
When we are suffering from culture shock, we usually feel out of control. So, don't spend energy on things you cannot change.
Don't invest major energy in minor problems.
We make "mountains out of molehills" even more quickly in cross-cultural situations than we do in our own culture.
Tackle major stressors head on.
Don't avoid things.
Maintain regular living patterns.
Eat and sleep at regular intervals.
Keep up your interests.
If you have certain hobbies or are involved in sports at home, try to do the same abroad. This is a great way to make friends.
Write it down.
Record your thoughts and frustrations in a journal. This will give you a healthy outlet for expressing your feelings.
Explore.
Set time aside each day to do something special and make sure you do it.
Nest.
Find a place you feel comfortable and spend time there when you need to recharge your batteries.
Sep 22, 2009 19:22
  • DODGER
The above is information given to Chinese students about to travel overseas.
I hope this helps to explain more on what Dave mentioned on this subject.
Dodger.
Page 2 of 3    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: What I need to come to China to get married?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code