Menu
BBC presenter: let the giant pandas die out!
Sep 24, 2009 04:07
  • LEONARDO
According to British media, Chris Packham, a 48-year-old presenter of BBC2’s Autumnwatch (a wildlife TV program), has said that Giant pandas should be allowed to die out as they are stuck in an ‘evoluationary cul-de-sac”.

He argued: 'Here is a species that, of its own accord, has gone down an evolutionary cul-de-sac. It's not a strong species.” He also claimed that tigers would die out within two decades. He has even made some crazy comments previously: “I’d eat the last panda if I could have the money we’ve spent on panda conservation back on the table for me to do more sensible things with.” On another occasion he said: “Let them go, wave goodbye, maybe have a party or a wake. Just stop wasting money trying to save them from extinction.”

As is known to all, Giant panda is an endangered species, currently existed only in China. In total, there are not more than 2,000 giant panadas in the wild and reared in captivity. Giant panda is considered as a national treasure of China. Every year, countless visitors from abroad come to China to see the lovely giant pandas. Chris Packman’s comment is really annoying!

BBC TV wildlife expert-- Chris Packham

Last edited by LEONARDO: Sep 24, 2009 04:08
Sep 24, 2009 04:12
  • LEONARDO
Giant pandas

Sep 24, 2009 21:36
  • ICEBLUE
He is a host of wildlife program? I am shocked. Has he ever been to China to see the giant pandas in his own eyes? I am afraid that she never left UK. He must be a narrowminded guy. His comments make me think so. He should travel more. As Mark Twain said, travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness. Was he unaware that his comment would hurt a lot of people's feeling? She'd better stay in Uk and not come to China. Otherwise, she would get punched.
Sep 24, 2009 23:03
  • JIMMYB
I read somewhere that he is a conservative. Some celebs utter some fanatic comments when they are in desperate need of public attention. He has his agenda. His controversial statement was criticized by the World Wildlife Fund(WWF).
Sep 25, 2009 06:15
  • DODGER
Maybe, by making controversial remarks, he was trying to bring the challenges and the associated costs involved with keeping endangered species alive to the forefront.
It sounds to me like it was said with tongue in cheek, which is easily lost in the printed word.
Dodger.
Sep 28, 2009 04:07
  • FAERYGIRL
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEONARDO

: “I’d eat the last panda if I could have the money we’ve spent on panda conservation back on the table for me to do more sensible things with.” On another occasion he said: “Let them go, wave goodbye, maybe have a party or a wake. Just stop wasting money trying to save them from extinction.”

Mr panda-hater, what else do you want to eat if you have the money? Will you eat your own flesh? How can she host the wildlife program? Does he tell the viewer to kill the endangered species. A panda is more lovely than you, Mr panda-hater.
Last edited by FAERYGIRL: Sep 28, 2009 04:08
Sep 28, 2009 04:19
GUESTLOVECHINA We have a catchword: 做事不能太BBC,meaning you shouldn't do things a way of BBC. You know why? Recently, BBC's reports are not faithful any more. So do their presenters. This BBC presenter is Bullshit Broadcasting Cow!
Sep 29, 2009 15:59
  • SETH
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUESTLOVECHINA

We have a catchword: 做事不能太BBC,meaning you shouldn't do things a way of BBC. You know why? Recently, BBC's reports are not faithful any more. So do their presenters. This BBC presenter is Bullshit Broadcasting Cow!

Thank you for the way you characterized BBC presenters: you made me laugh out loud! I needed the pick-me-up. Thanks you.
Sep 30, 2009 02:46
GUESTLOVECHINA
Quote:

Originally Posted by SETH

Thank you for the way you characterized BBC presenters: you made me laugh out loud! I needed the pick-me-up. Thanks you.

Hello Seth, I am a Chinese, and my English is not good. What do you mean by "pick-me-up"? "Pick somebody up" means " to receive somebody by driving a car at a place". I can't understand the meaning of your words.
Sep 30, 2009 13:06
  • SETH

GUESTLOVECHINA --

A 'pick-me-up' would be some form of good word or good deed to lift someone from the depths of despair or unhappiness. As in 'to pick one's spirits up'. Idiomatic English can be hard to figure out. What I meant was that I was feeling a bit down about something, but reading your post made me laugh; it perked up my spirits.

If a 'pick-me-up' is a thing that perks a person's spirits up, then what is a 'pick-up line'? (It's actually a line of conversation used by a guy to pick up a girl in a bar.) I can understand confusion over American/English expressions.

I think it is always good practice to ask about something if you don't understand it, and I hope my explanation helped.
Post a Reply to: BBC presenter: let the giant pandas die out!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code