Menu
Help with our travels
Feb 26, 2005 21:13
  • STACYHUNTER
We are tring to see Beijing , the Great Wall, and the Terra Cotta Warriors all with in 3 1/2 days. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this without spending a fortune or spending every free moment on the road?

Please help.
Feb 28, 2005 10:45
  • DEE0228
Hello, TACYHUNTER!

I'm afraid your plan is too tight to complete within the short days, but i still work out a itinerary for your reference:
Day 1 in Beijing, go to the Great Wall
Day 2 in Beijing, visit the Tiananmen Square and around; take a overnight train at 20:28 to Xi'an
Day 3 in Xian; Arrive in Xian at 07:58 then find a tourist bus outside the train station to go to Terra Cotta Warrior Army; transfer back to the railway station in the afernoon, and take train back to Beijing at 19:23

If you will do all the arrangement by yourslves, I'm afraid the biggest problem is the train tickets , so i suggest you'd better contact with a local travel agency to arrange the matters for you previously.
Mar 7, 2005 23:41
  • STACYHUNTER
Thank you for responding to my cry for help. Your advise is very worthy. I appeciate it.
Mar 8, 2005 14:04
  • PEPPERMINT
Rules when travelling in China
1. You can alwasy meet someone speaking English so never be afraid to ask questions. Most people are kind and willing to help.
2. Running water is not edible so bring your bottle of water with you.
3.Be aware of pickpocket, especially in supermarket and on bus.
4. Remember to bargain when shopping at stand stalls and sometimes even in department store.
5. Be aware of fake notes. Prepare your change when taking a taxi. The best place to change money is in a bank.
Mar 9, 2005 07:20
  • DONHFRASER
Hello Stacyhunter

That is quite a challenge you have set yourself. I did it the easy way on an organised tour and found it quite exhausting. The distance alone from Beijing to Xian and back must be nearly 1500 miles. Beijing to the Great Wall and back another 90 miles. When visiting the Great Wall you have to walk a few miles along it to appreciate the scale of it. If you go to Badelling go up the steps and walk to the left but be prepared for some steep walks, it is far from flat( they say that is the easier route). This takes a lot of time out of your 3 1/2 days. The Terracotta Warriers will take up some time also to appreciate them properly. If you can find yourself another day it will give you some breathing space. Enjoy your trip
Mar 10, 2005 01:56
  • STACYHUNTER
Donh,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I'm exhausted just thinking about trying to do it all. We have recently thought about a Tour. Who did you go through? Did you have a good experience.

Thank you for sharing.
Mar 10, 2005 07:03
  • DONHFRASER
Hi StaceyH

I travelled from the UK with a company called Travelshere and would recommend them to anybody. Did I enjoy it? yes, it was the most thought provoking trip of my life.
It would be wrong to call it a holiday, it was more an experience, a very exhausting one at that.
We crammed more into 14 days than i ever thought possible, although not a lot of that was sleep.
We arrived at Shanghai Airport after tralling half a day to the airport, had an 11 hour flight, came out of the airport and our luggage went to the hotel and we went another way and our tour started, we didn't see our beds for another 11 hours !! After 7 hours we were woken for another long day in the August heat and humidity and so it carried on for another 13 days.
Would I do it again .... yes

I live in a very interesting and pleasant part of the world and many many people enjoy visiting here but it is the different cliate, culture and people which make travelling sich distance worthwhile.

Do you live ib Beijing as your forum details indicate? The Iniversity has more students than the town I live in according to a Professor I met on my visit.

If you go to Xian you should find time to visit the Marquis of Xen museum in Hubei, as interesting as the Terracotta Warriors

Don H
Mar 10, 2005 10:14
  • FREEMAN
any problems with xi'an,let me help u
Mar 10, 2005 10:24
  • STACYHUNTER
Thank you for responding. What a great experience you must have had. We are looking forward to having a wonderful time.

I'm new at this internet chat stuff and put the name of the city I needed information on, so no, I'm not from Beijing. I'm from the United States.
I haven't quite figured this out yet, but I'm learning. In the mean time, I think we may go with a tour to make sure we enjoy China as much as possible. We don't want to get caught up in trying to get around on our own. I think we could waste a lot of time that way.
Mar 11, 2005 01:37
  • DONHFRASER
Stacey

There are more pos than cons when travelling on an organised tour, It takes all the grief out of Visa Applications etc plus the transport issues. The downside forsome people is that you are told where to eat, good quality though and you need to be careful how much freetime is built into the tour

Don H
Post a Reply to: Help with our travels
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code