Menu
Why Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize?
Oct 10, 2009 01:53
  • LAUGH
Voting without time limit
Exclusive Vote
  1. 2 vote(s)
  2. 20 vote(s)
Note: Guest voter(s) are not displayed here.

The US President Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize. Why? The Nobel Committeee said Mr Obama won it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".
The granting of the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama has stired a controversy. BBC commentator Paul Reynolds said: “The award is certainly unexpected and might be regarded as more of an encouragement for intentions than a reward for achievements.” It seems that U.S president can win the Nobel Peace Prize as long as USA doesn’t launch a war against other countries like Iraq or Afghanistan. To the astonishment of you and me, the award astonished Mr Obama himself as well. He was “surprised and deeply humbled” by the award, said Obama, in an address at the White House on Friday.
Do you think Mr Obama really deserves the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize? Obama was just in office for ten months.
Oct 10, 2009 15:05
GUEST14109 Unless of course it was a pressure tactics to force him to complete those works he pledged to do. If somehow Obama fails to deliver on crucial tasks such as N-weapons free world, which is highly likely, then both the noble committee and Obama will look like a fool.
Oct 11, 2009 02:33
  • BOBERT
Awarding Obama the peace prize is an absurdity! It is equally as absurd as awarding it to Al Gore in 2007 who also achieved nothing even remotely "peaceful". It makes a mockery of the award.
Oct 15, 2009 01:25
  • JOHNNY512
It was a sheer irony to give the Nobel Peace prize to Obama. He achieved nothing in maintain the world peace. Sorry, I am wrong. He contributed a lot to global peace. At least, he didn't launch a mass-scale war in his term so far. Huh!
Oct 21, 2009 04:16
  • BOBERT
But he is continueing the invasion of Afghanistan. Possibly even expanding it. Does that deserve a "peace" prize?
Oct 24, 2009 15:03
GUEST42213 I thought the kind of Statesman Prez Barack Obama is, he will not accept the prize. But surprisingly he did !
Oct 24, 2009 20:32
  • BOBERT
He accepted the award but says he will donate the prize money to charity. He knew he was going to be awarded the prize only ten 10 weeks after his inauguration. So he knew he had done nothing to deserve it at that time. In fact he still hasn't!
Oct 26, 2009 17:20
GUEST14540
What did Yasser Arafat do to win the Nobel Peace Prize in 1994???
Oct 26, 2009 23:02
  • BOBERT
I couldn't agree more GUEST14540. And what did Al Gore do for peace in 2007? The "Peace Prize" is a misnomer. It should be titled the Celebrity Prize instead.
Oct 26, 2009 23:15
GUEST5570
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBERT

I couldn't agree more GUEST14540. And what did Al Gore do for peace in 2007? The "Peace Prize" is a misnomer. It should be titled the Celebrity Prize instead.

Agree! It seems that the Nobel Peace Prize is set for US presidents. So far, four US presidents have won the Nobel Peace Prize. They are Theodore Roosevelt,Jr, Thomas Woodrow Wilson, James Earl Carter and Jr and Al Gore.

Who's gonna be next?

Oct 27, 2009 02:42
  • BOBERT
Probably ex president Bill Clinton.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Why Obama wins 2009 Nobel Peace Prize?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code