Menu
Living a tea life in Tibet
Oct 26, 2009 01:17
  • MAGICTIBET
To the Tibetans, tea is a beverage that is just like coffee to the westerners -- a wake-up and a shake-up drink that keeps almost everyone sound and safe.

In Tibet no morning can pass without drinking some tea, usually the sweet tea; and also in Tibet no meal can be complete without some tea, almost all the time the Tibetan buttered tea.

The sweet tea, prepared by mixing milk and sugar with the juice from fully boiled fermented tea leaves, serves as the refreshener.

Town folks prefer to go to a tea house before going to work for the rest of their day. Tea houses sometimes stand as alternative places to find the ones who are otherwise expected in their workplace in the morning and in the early afternoon.

The Tibetan buttered tea is prepared by mixing butter and salt with the juice from fully boiled fermented tea leaves. Before serving, the mixture has to be further blended in a special blender.

More often than not, a slim wooden cylinder is used for the blending. After the mixture is put in the cylinder, a piston is used to push and pull inside the cylinder. With the passing of the mixture through the slit between the piston and the cylinder, the mixture of butter, salt and tea is forcefully and thoroughly blended.

In Tibet, tea, either sweet tea or Tibetan buttered tea, is served in small or large thermo flasks, in that both are of their best smack when served hot.

The local habit of drinking tea has to do with the local food composition. The Tibetans eat lots of meat of yak and goat. The strong buttered tea not only helps to keep the body warm but also helps to promote the digestion of the meat that is taken almost three meals a day and 365 days a year.

Local sayings have it that the others cannot do without salt whereas the Tibetans cannot do without either salt or tea.
Oct 27, 2009 23:57
  • GARYKINKADE
After seeing numerous documentaries about Tibet and it's people I've often wondered if they
had a high cholesterol count resulting in clogged arteries and heart disease. Guess you have
answered the question with the comment of fermented tea.
What a beautiful country Tibet is.
Oct 28, 2009 18:54
  • MARRIE
Gary, Tibet is not a country but an autonomous area of PRC.
Nov 3, 2009 04:36
  • DODGER
Some of the movies I have bought have not even been released at the Movie theaters at the time.
I have no idea how the pirate get hold of copies.
Dodger.
Nov 3, 2009 22:19
  • HERBEAT
Dodger, it seems like you are very interested in getting hold of the copies^-^
Nov 4, 2009 03:36
  • DODGER
Herbeat, I must admit that I do buy pirated copies of movies, but what I really want to know is how do the pirate get hold of a copy before it is even released at the movies?
The Studios security must be pretty ordinary.
Dodger.
Nov 4, 2009 04:54
  • HERBEAT
Well, that's a challenge question to me, Dodger. I'm always too lazy to think about things as long as it works well. Life's good and I'd rather spend my time on enjoying the beautiful sunshine^-^
Post a Reply to: Living a tea life in Tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code