Menu
Learn these two phrases!
Nov 2, 2009 02:26
  • ZOEY
Here are two phrases that you should know because they are very popular now in China. They both sound like Chinese idioms but actually not. Maybe they will be one day. These two phrases have one thing in common, that is, they both have something to do with controversial events happened in China.

The first one is 开胸验肺(kāi xiōng yàn fèi) . It means “open one’ chest to check the lung”. Zhang Haichao, a farmer worker in Zhenzhou required a doctor to open his chest to confirm he had the occupational lung disease, pneumoconiosis. Finally, the doctor confirmed that he suffered from the pneumoconiosis. With the diagnosis report, he made a deal with his former employer and finally received a compensation of 61,5000 RMB. His case has aroused the work-safety debate in China.

As a result of the case, six local health officials and doctors were either sacked or suspended. The State Administration of Work Safety, China's work safety watchdog, also formulated a temporary provision. The new provision means Chinese businesses and factories that violate occupational hazard regulations will be shut down and face penalties up to 300,000 yuan.

The second is 断指明志(duàn zhǐ míng zhì), meaning “cut off one’s finger to prove his/her innocence”. Sun Zhongjie, a mini van driver in Shanghai cut off his finger to protest Shanghai local traffic polices’ “entrapment”. Actually, there are more drivers who have encountered “Police Entrapment”. I remembered a member had posted a thread about this. If you are interested, please check his thread (https://community.travelchinaguide.com/forum2.asp?i=55012)
Nov 2, 2009 23:33
  • HERBEAT
I don't think those are very popular...
Nov 2, 2009 23:34
  • HERBEAT
In fact, I think there are few native Chinese who would talk about it in dailylife
Nov 3, 2009 20:27
  • JIMMYB
Hehe, girls seem not interested in discussing current affairs happened in China. It's ironic that these two phrases were invented. Zhang had no other choices but to open his chest to confirm he was very ill in order to get his compensation. China has to do something to avoid such tragedy happen again. Sun was pathetic too.
Post a Reply to: Learn these two phrases!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code