Menu
Chinese will be replaced by English sooner or later?
Nov 16, 2009 03:32
  • ZOEY
I just watched a TV programme not long ago. A scholar said:"As a result of globalization, English will become a world language and govern the world eventually." Will this happen one day?

And some Chinese people believe that Chinese will be replaced by English sooner or later. Why? Kids in the kindergartens start to learn English. And they will continue to learn English at least 16 years in primary school, middle school and university. In colleges, they have to pass CET-4 to get their diplomas. It seems that almost all Chinese are learning English.

Scary? Do you think Chinese will be replaced by English?
Feb 9, 2010 02:31
  • ZOE520530
stupid question
Feb 17, 2010 07:02
  • GLADIATOR
English will always be the global language, but to say that Chinese or any other such major languages will become extinct is not a reality. People may choose to transact in a common global language but back at home they may still like to use their native language which can help them express their emotions and feelings in a better way.
Aug 1, 2010 04:17
  • ONMYWAY
Zoey, don't worry about this. China has a population of 1,3 billion. Chinese will not disappear. And I have seen many 老外(foreigners) are learning Chinese now. Maybe, English will be replaced by Chinese one day.
Aug 6, 2010 03:55
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by ONMYWAY

Zoey, don't worry about this. China has a population of 1,3 billion. Chinese will not disappear. And I have seen many 老外(foreigners) are learning Chinese now. Maybe, English will be replaced by Chinese one day.

Same
Aug 6, 2010 04:02
  • OSMAN
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZOE520530

stupid question

I agree, if it become true, it will be Chinglish.
because the pronunciation is not goode.it will creat one more accent.
Aug 13, 2010 22:46
  • DALLYHAPPY
No, i don't think that Chinese wil be replaced by English. Just like Onmyway said, China has a large population with 56 people. And a lot of foreigners are learning Chinese, trying to understand Chinese culture. Globalization is a trend. Culture and language wil travel all around the world. While learning, everyone still has their own identity.
Sep 6, 2010 09:33
GLOBALIZATION? i believe that's the main goal of the greatest conspiracy ever from the secret societies network, ONE WORLD MANAGEMENT, so i hope that won't be happen, so everyone should keep their mother language always at their main, learning English is ok but still don't replace your mother language...:D
Sep 20, 2010 05:20
  • ATTA_BUTT
No doubt English language is a global language but I think Chinese people can’t allow replacing with English language.
There is a great thinking behind translation of English language, and mostly Chinese leaders likes to speak their own language instead of English language. I think they can speak English but for the promotion of their own language they do well. There is another story behind successes of Chinese people, because they used their own language for transferring knowledge to their students. They can also keep their confidential matters as well. I think it is good however all languages are from The God. We should give due respect.
Pakistani point of view.
From Atta
Oct 10, 2010 03:03
  • LYONS1983
yes, i agree with Atta.The main purpose We learn english is to know other people and civilazitions from outside of our country well.English is a global language,Chinese people will use it as a tool and bridge to get close conection with the world.But you know, for a person, his homelanguage is not just a tool for him, but a root which can never be replaced.
Oct 12, 2010 02:40
  • ARIESBUNNY
One of the reasons why this planet is so colorful and interesting lies in that we have so many different languages and cultures.

It is same as colors. To put all the colors together and get the only one color--black is such a boring and hopeless result.

No culture or language should be diminished. Keeping our own typical traditions is the only way to survive better. Following and learning can make you become fashionalbe temporarily, but not precious.

Sure, strong nation can push their language and culture to a dominant position. But that does not mean the others should go to die.
Page 1 of 2    < Previous Next >    Page:
Post a Reply to: Chinese will be replaced by English sooner or later?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code