Menu
Tibet
Nov 16, 2009 10:18
guest37230 Hello

Can anyone tell me how to get from Chengdu to Tibet? I hear there is a special train - how long does it take? Any idea of the price? I heard from someone it goes from Chengdu to Lhasa but someone else said it is from Qinghai to Lhasa? I have limited access to internet, so cannot spend a lot of time searching.

Can any one recommend a good agency that can organise travel permit/tour to Tibet during Winter? I know its not best time to visit, but no other choice! Has anyone here been to Lhasa in winter?

Thanks very much!
Nov 17, 2009 00:00
  • TRAVISLIU
Normally we take plane from Chengdu to Lhasa, there are about 3-6 flights to there (almost the flights are in the morning). Now is off-season and the air ticket maybe cheap.

If you take train, the route will be Chengdu-Geermo(Qinghai)-Lhasa. It may be 2-3 days get there but there's beautiful landscape around the railway. The train ticket is almost the same price as air ticket.

The only problem is that the train ticket is very hard to buy. Normally the ticket is only sold to travel agents in Chengdu. I don't know how to buy it but the normal ticket agents don't sell the ticket to Lhasa.
Nov 17, 2009 08:53
  • YINMEI
There is a direct train runs from Chengdu to Lhasa alternative day every month. And it is available in even day on November. T22/T23 departs Chengdu at 20:59 and arrives in Lhasa at 15:54(third day). I will fly from Chongqing to Lhasa on 19th. The airticket price is as same as hard sleeper train ticket right now.

Cheers!
Nov 17, 2009 09:12
  • HERBEAT
Get the permit ready before you go there. Otherwise you'll have to wait for a long time... Good luck^-^
Nov 17, 2009 11:23
GUEST56119
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

Get the permit ready before you go there. Otherwise you'll have to wait for a long time... Good luck^-^

Thanks for the advice everyone. How do I go about getting a permit? By "before you go there" do you mean before going to Chengdu? is that possible?
Dec 10, 2009 11:39
  • RENCHIN
Hello friend
Have you gone there yet?And are you sure to go here in winter?
I mean if you want,maybe next summer I'll be you guide,
Because I wanna take a chance to practice my Spoken English,even if my written English is poor too.
If you go there.I'm a citizen there,I think maybe I am more familiar with my hometown than anyone else.
So if you have any idea on this please keep in touch with me.
E-mail:yeah.net|lingling0707
Thanks a lot!
Dec 10, 2009 13:03
GUEST56173 I haven't gone yet - still thinking about it. Because I will be by myself it will be very expensive so I might not go for that reason. If I find a tour group (has been impossible so far to find a tour group for foreigners) or fnd someone to travel with, I might go. Thanks, I will keep in touch!
Dec 10, 2009 22:39
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST56119

Thanks for the advice everyone. How do I go about getting a permit? By "before you go there" do you mean before going to Chengdu? is that possible?

Sorry I didn't notice the question before...
It would spend different time depends on your nationality and where you get it. Sometimes the travel agency would be a better choice since there are employees who speak English and they could do things faster than a "normal" person...
China Travel Service and China Travel International service would be a good choice...
Good luck...
Dec 10, 2009 22:41
  • HERBEAT
Quote:

Originally Posted by GUEST56173

I haven't gone yet - still thinking about it. Because I will be by myself it will be very expensive so I might not go for that reason. If I find a tour group (has been impossible so far to find a tour group for foreigners) or fnd someone to travel with, I might go. Thanks, I will keep in touch!

It's impossible to find a tour group? One problem is that there're fewer tourists who want to go there recently and some tour agencies cut off the service. But you could ask them the information... Emm... May I ask where are you now? Different region has different situation...
Dec 11, 2009 19:56
GUEST42156
Quote:

Originally Posted by HERBEAT

It's impossible to find a tour group? One problem is that there're fewer tourists who want to go there recently and some tour agencies cut off the service. But you could ask them the information... Emm... May I ask where are you now? Different region has different situation...

Yeah I'm finding it hard to find a tour grp for foreigners from within China. I know of some external Non-Chinese tour operators (eg Intrepid) that will not go to Tibet in winter. It seems most foreigners in China do a 'private tour' with friends and split the costs. My problem is my friends are not available to travel with me in Jan. So I am trying to find a join-in tour for foreigners. You asked where I am now - I live in Guangzhou, but will be out in Sichuan province in Jan.

You asked where
Dec 12, 2009 00:33
  • YINMEI
I just got back from Lhasa on December 8th, have been there for 10 days and visited Potola Palace, Jokhang Monastery, Namtso Lake, Yamdrok Lake, Tashilumpo Monastery etc. Plase comtact 163.com|yinjun_518 for detailed info.

Cheers!
Post a Reply to: Tibet
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code