Menu
Obama's bow in Japan triggers criticism!
Nov 18, 2009 03:48
  • JIMMYB
During his first formal visit to Japan, Obama made a deep bow to Japan's emperor. Well, he might just show his respect to the emperor but some people interpreted this in another way.

1. The New York Times wrote "an obsequent president and the emperor of Japan."

2. Andrew Malcolm, in a blog on The Los Angeles Times Web site, asks: "How low will the new American president go for the world's royalty?"

And here are some readers' comments:

1.Mitch wrote: Obama to Emperor of Japan: “May I shine your shoes, Sir?”
2.Plain Jane wrote: Obama WASN’T bowing – He SAW a Japanese Yen on the floor and went to pick it up because it might be Worth More Than Our Dollar!
3.Veteran wrote: Was that before or after he appologized for World War 2?
4.bmcc wrote: Palin would have winked at him. You betcha!
5.Maripo wrote: I’m surprised he didn’t curtsy.
6.MP wrote: Whatever happened to the good old days when we could count on a Republican in the White House to puke on foreign dignitaries?
7.marty1234 wrote: I wish are first black president had been a rapper at least he’d have some attitude…
8.Wax on wax off wrote: Look eye! Always look eye! -Mr. Miyagi
9.helen roach wrote: I wonder why they didn’t run the dust mop over the floor. It would have looked much nicer in the picture.
10.Xavier wrote: See, Obama is not a Muslim. He’s a shintoist.

So how do you understand Obama's bow?

Last edited by JIMMYB: Nov 18, 2009 03:49
Nov 18, 2009 20:53
1.Mitch wrote: Obama to Emperor of Japan: “May I shine your shoes, Sir?”
2.Plain Jane wrote: Obama WASN’T bowing – He SAW a Japanese Yen on the floor and went to pick it up because it might be Worth More Than Our Dollar!

LOL, these two guys don't like Obama obviously. Personally, I think it is no big deal. Bowing (ojigi) is an important custom in Japan. Obama just wanted to show his respect to the emperor.
Jan 4, 2010 12:04
  • SHESGOTTOBE
Bow is Japan's equivalent to a handshake in the West. People just read too much into it. You know what they say: When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Jan 6, 2010 02:05
  • CHERRY07
Obviously, those who misinterpreted Obama surely don't like Obama very much.
Jan 23, 2010 23:00
  • APAULT
As Shesgottobe says, Obama was visiting Japan so he should follow Japanese protocol (unless it really conflicts with international standards). I don't like Royalty, I voted to abolish Queen Elizabeth of A
Jan 23, 2010 23:04
  • APAULT
As Shesgottobe says, Obama was visiting Japan so he should follow Japanese protocol (unless it really conflicts with international standards).

The US has a system where the political leader is also the ceremonial leader: as he was meeting Jaapan's ceremonial leader (only) it is even more appropriate to follow accepted protocol. It is NOT a political act and should not be interpreted as such, he was not belittling himself or the USA.
Post a Reply to: Obama's bow in Japan triggers criticism!
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code