Menu
What can we learn from Venice’s Funeral?
Nov 20, 2009 02:13
  • JIMMYB
Several days ago, Venetians held a funeral for Venice since some locals believed that their city was already dead. The population of Venice is gradually decreasing. Currently, there are 60,025 people in Venice, a long way down from the 108,300 residents in 1971. Besides, Venetians don’t live happily. The housing prices are too steep there so that many people move out of Venice. The locals think that the city doesn’t do anything for them but they do more for the tourists.

As an outsider, I just thought people in Venice lived happily because tourism had brought them a lot of money. However, it seems that I am wrong. You see, the population has decreased and people are starting to leave Venice.

Venice is a famous tourist attraction in Italy and thousands of foreigners come there for a visit. We may guess that people there must have earned a lot of money but the fact is different. It is no doubt that tourism can bring people a lot of money. However, why do the citizens leave their homes? Why does the population decrease?

Nov 20, 2009 07:36
  • LLYNN
I guess it is the govenment who earns a lot of money from the hot tourism, not its people.

Nov 20, 2009 19:14
  • SHESGOTTOBE
I'm sure the local people benefited from the tourism. However, life is not just about making money. Making a lot of money is a good thing, but only if it doesn't eclipse the other things in life, such as peace of mind, serene environment, relationships and some 'me' time. I would think that many people don't like their places being a tourist spot forever. There's always people around. There's always the stress to 'look good'.

It's no different from your house having guests all the time. Once in a while is fun, but always having guests is stressful and you'd have no time for privacy. The time will come when you want to get away from it all.
Last edited by SHESGOTTOBE: Nov 20, 2009 19:15
Nov 22, 2009 21:43
  • LIZXLI
Privacy.
I fully agree with SHESGOTTOBE's.
Nov 29, 2009 01:59
GUEST3210 Their quiet lives have been disturbed by the visitors. If I lived there, I would choose to leave too.
Post a Reply to: What can we learn from Venice’s Funeral?
Content: ( 3,000 characters at most, please )
You can add emoticons below to your post by clicking them.
characters left
Name:    Get a new code